What is the most heat tolerant chicken/chicken breed with biggest wattles

If you bought from TSC, then hoover hatchery is most likely the supplier
I bought them from a local feed store (not TSC, I’m not a big fan of TSC)

I know they order from a variety of larger hatcheries. I saw a sheet that was color coded with the chicks arrival date, breed, and hatchery. I just can’t remember which hatchery the silkies were from. 😅

my roo Koa doesn't have walnut comb but he is a silky so im thinking he is half silky half something else, is this ok to breed him with another chicken without his type of comb?

It depends on what you mean by "OK." It will not hurt him, or the hen, or the chicks. I just don't know whether you will like the way the chicks look ;)

If you want Silkies that match their Standard of Perfection, then you might not want to breed from him. But for any other purpose, he should be fine.

It depends on what you mean by "OK." It will not hurt him, or the hen, or the chicks. I just don't know whether you will like the way the chicks look ;)

If you want Silkies that match their Standard of Perfection, then you might not want to breed from him. But for any other purpose, he should be fine.
by ok i just mean if the chicks will be healthy like i hear if mom and dad have ear tuff feathers it can be fatal to the chicks but idk if thats true or not

by ok i just mean if the chicks will be healthy like i hear if mom and dad have ear tuff feathers it can be fatal to the chicks but idk if thats true or not
I haven't heard of that (but I don't know much about genetics) but I wouldn't be too worried. I am thinking about having a silkie rooster in my mixed breed flock, and thinking what a GLW X Silkie would look like.

That's specifically for Araucana chickens. The tuft is a specialized organ and having 2 parents with it dramatically lowers hatch rates.

Muffs and beards are harmless

Naked necks are very heat resistant and my roos all have big combs. The hen’s combs aren’t as big, nothing like a leghorn. But they’re also very easy to care for as they don’t get sick easy. They’re very hardy. While not the prettiest, they’re good birds.
2EB15BC6-3A2B-4099-B834-372C21F7628A.jpeg
B493C229-ED3A-4A23-8E4D-2F88F8BACBA0.jpeg

A couple of mine just for reference

Oh, good point.

No, Silkies do not have any of the genes that tend to cause problems (ear tufts like Araucanas, short legs like Japanese bantams.)

Back
Top Bottom