What is the next breed of chicken you would like to add to your flock?

trailrider330

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Midwest America
What is the next breed of chicken you would like to add to your flock? Where do you plan on getting them from (TSC, hatchery, breeder, etc.)?

I am hoping to add Barnevelders (including Blue Double Laced), French Black Cooper Marans and BBS or Blue/Wheaten or Lavender Ameraucanas. I plan on getting them from a breeder.

Where are you located? There's a guy in Oklahoma that has one of the best lines of Barnevelers for egg color.
A lady from Springfield, MO improved the line but retired and sold them to this guy.
http://peaceofthyme.com/photo2_1.html

I've had over 30 breeds but due to time and space I have focused on Black Penedesencas. If I was to add a breed, I'd probably have Quetros. I don't think there are any in the US. A lady in Canada has them but won't do the paperwork for export to the US.
If I wanted them, I'd have to do the importation paperwork and go to Lake Titicaca in the Peruvian Highlands.

Salmon Faverolle and Brahmas next spring from a hatchery. I just want so good laying, big, feather footed chickens in my flock. I'm not concerned with meeting breed standard.

Last edited:
Where are you located? There's a guy in Oklahoma that has one of the best lines of Barnevelers for egg color.
A lady from Springfield, MO improved the line but retired and sold them to this guy.
http://peaceofthyme.com/photo2_1.html

I've had over 30 breeds but due to time and space I have focused on Black Penedesencas. If I was to add a breed, I'd probably have Quetros. I don't think there are any in the US. A lady in Canada has them but won't do the paperwork for export to the US.
If I wanted them, I'd have to do the importation paperwork and go to Lake Titicaca in the Peruvian Highlands.

I am in Southern Michigan. I found a breeder I like in Northern Ohio, but I will be sure to check out the link you provided as well.

Not at all familiar with Quetros. Sounds like a lot of work to get them here but it is always great to see new breeds.

0803151055_zpshivjxjxp.jpg

This is the problem! There are so many out there! I am sure that 'this' is the bred I will like, I will go that route.... and then something happens.

In January, I was all set to go with Buckeyes.

Then in April, I got a chance to get a mighty fine Bielefelder rooster. Oh how pretty, oh how nice. I live on the prairie, and am thinking that a gold/brown/orange colorization would help with predation problems. The first chicks hatched out July 7 and they just disappear into the tall grass. They are growing quickly...I am pretty pleased so far.

I have the utmost admiration for a person that can pick a breed and stick with it. I think I may.... but?

Monica

Last edited:
Right now I have 6 Barred Rock pullets, 2 Easter Eggers, 3 Australorps, and 1 red Easter Egger cockerel. I'm going to be hatching some black sexlinks from my flock this month. I'm really excited about the prospect of sexlinked Easter Eggers. And I'd like to have a few more birds in my flock with my rooster's coloring. I hope to increase the overall size by adding in Brahmas, and if I get Light or Dark, the chicks will also be sexlinked.
There are just so many possibilities. Mixed breeds make for an interesting and unique flock.

I got my barnevelders form a website called efowl.com. They were $9 a piece but Guaranteed Alive when arrived or they will replace them.. They are 5 months old and are very healthy.

I hoped this helped and if you have more questions let me know.
1f60e.png

Back
Top Bottom