What is the nicest/most tame breed of duck?

I just want to send to you the most sincere wishes for luck on that adventure. I have not ever seen a tame duck that just lets you hold it and play with it. Especially when you have more than one, they just don't do what you think they should do and they have their own way of doing things.

Let us know what breed you finally decide on.

Arklady

I will have to agree with arklady when you get duck(s) they hardly ever bond to people. I got a duck that a couple had it was thier house duck very tame loved to be held etc. after I got it and introduced it to the other ducks well that was all over they get an imprint from the other ducks to well be a duck. Now if you were to get a single duck and put a heavy human imprint on it you would most surely have a lil lover on your hand but sadly you would never be able to add any other ducks into your flock if you wanted to keep this bond.

I consider my call ducks to be tame. They come running for a treat, but forget trying to pick them up and hold them....they've got no interest in that. If you want a pet you can cuddle get a cat. A cat is a lot less work and mess than a duck!!

haha well I have two cats...and a baby girl on the way.
big_smile.png

What if I get ONE duck to go with chickens? Would that work? I just hate how my chickens want nothing to do with me, unless I have treats!

I don't want to keep the duck inside...i know they are messy. Maybe I should just get a dog...but I know my husband would never go for that.

Anyways, would one duck work with other chickens? or would the duck ignore me too?
hu.gif

Congratulations on your baby girl. Just got my first two granddaughters in the last year and I'm enjoying spoiling them rotten!! :)

I know there are people who keep ducks and chickens together, but I wouldn't ever want to do it...just because the mess the duck would make. I love my call ducks, but ducks are about the messiest pet/animal you could have I think!!

I think..don't know since I've never kept them together...that even a lone duck would chose the chickens over you. As cute as they are, they just aren't the cuddly pet people would like them to be.

Thank you!

Maybe I should just stick to chickens then. I think, and i know this is gonna sound terrible either way, I'm just bored of my breed (BR) and I want to try something else in the spring. My local feed store orders them from a hatchery called Frey's and they have limited varieties. I am way to scared to order from further away. Poor little darlings
sad.png
is all I'd be thinking. Should I not be such a worry wart? I would just hate to order, say 10 day olds, and only get 5 alive or something.

I don't know anything about the hatcheries in Canada, but I order from a hatchery in Iowa and they ship to me in Kansas and they make it just fine. There's usually a 20-25 chick minimum so they stay warm enough.

well at easter we got two ducks - found out later we have a white pekin and a mallard/crested mix -found out even later they are both males LOL at first while they were in the house they were very loving and sweet until they went outside - now they will run up to me for treats but forget cuddling them if I get them in a corner and pick them up they will kinda just go limp and deal with being held.
I got a female cuyaga ( sp ) who was very tame until she meet my boys - forget picking her up now even when cornered and picked up she really hates being held LOL

I think a single duck living with chickens might be alright, as long as it is not a male after awhile he will try to mate your poor chickens.
good luck with picking a duck.

and congrats on the baby girl.

I have to say that I have raised most of my flock of Rouens from ducklings and they have turned out as social as everyone else has experienced.

I got two adult White & Buff Runners (male and female) from someone and have found them to be more social. They will eat out of my hand and generally don't mind being picked up -- they even seem to like it. They don't cuddle, but they are very relaxed when they are picked up.

I can't say if they were brought up any differently (which I doubt) or if the Runners are just a more social breed.

Back
Top Bottom