What is the number one concern/question about chicken coops?

mardick69

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Hello there,

My father owns a couple of chickens and hes planning to have more (to raise more) and hes wondering what kind of of coop he will build. I am asking now, What is the number one concern/question (things to consider) in building chicken coops?

Im looking forward for some good suggestions. My dad is kinda confuse and dunno how to start.

Thanks.

First
welcome-byc.gif

ok we are new like you and we had LOTS of questions. But the great folks at BYC have tons of info we started looking at what other people were building and came up with our own. One thing we found was noted a lot was space requirements 4 sq ft of space per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft of run space per bird. Ventilation is another big thing chickens create a lot of humidity to keep from having a stinky coop ventilation is vital. Also one nesting box for every 3-5 hens. As far as design well that is totally up to you just look around this site chicken people have some great imaginations. OH and don't forget CHICKEN MATH
big_smile.png
Chickens are like Lays potato chips you can't just have one
gig.gif
once you have one you will get more.

Here is a pic of ours that the great people of BYC helped us design and build. We are quite proud of our first coop.

77604_0406111910b.jpg

I think what I learned from my experience was that ventilation is critical for a good coop. The birds need to have fresh air for their sensitive respiratory systems. Also, a very important need for the humans is to have the coop raised off of the ground for ease of cleaning and upkeep. It saves the back a lot of strain!

welcome-byc.gif
I believe the number one thing is PROPER ventilation. (A drafty coop in the cold winter is not proper ventilation) Hot summer weather will cook a coop and kill more chickens than most predators. One should always be mindful of space per bird also but that is not as critical if they free range all day and only sleep inside. If he hasn't built yet tell him to remember his chicken math- 1+2= a dozen! Go big now....or at least a little bigger than you think you need so you can add those other chicks you absolutely have to have later! Good luck and most of all ENJOY!

Ventilation is definitely key, our coop has big screen windows that can be closed in bad weather. Two other things my husband did that is helpful he put laying boxes on each side so we can reach in and grab eggs and put a ramp for the chickens at one end and a bigger door at the other end he can enter to put feed and water in. Now if we could just figure out a way to keep our young goats out!!

I'm going to probably shock regular readers of this section of the forum by NOT saying I think ventilation is the most important thing LOL

I would say that #1 is predatorproofing. Because none of the health-happiness-hygeine issues matter if there are no chickens left when you go out there in the morning.

And then I would say that a close #2 is allowing sufficient space for the chickens. Well, no. Not "sufficient". I think what I mean is to encourage people to give AMPLE space for their chickens, a lot more than the minimums that are generally kicked around here ("2-4 sq ft per hen indoors, 6-10 sq ft per hen outdoors"), those minimums being basically aimed at keeping the likelihood of cannibalism to a respectably low level rather than actually looking at how space affects chicken behavior/happiness.

Also, the more space you have per chicken, the less apt you are to find your ventilation is insufficient
smile.png

(And then, yeah, okay, if i had to nominate a third thing, I would probably say ventilation, or possibly good drainage i.e. not having things become a lake or mud-swamp)

JMHO,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom