1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the oldest that your hen was still laying?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smiley, Nov 3, 2010.

1. smiley

smiley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Is it true that hens stop laying after 2 years old?

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have several Key West hens that are older than 5 and still laying. Not everyday, but still enough to earn their keep!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No, it is not true. A lot of hatchery "production" type breeds will taper down dramatically after their first or second year, but a hen with good genes can continue to lay well past 5 years.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have a very crusty old hybrid (Warren) who stills lays most days aged 4. The others which we had at the same time stopped laying after 2-3 years and three of them have died due to 'old age'

It seems to vary a lot even within the same breed.

5. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    An old show strain of attractive large fowl White Leghorns,hens from 9-12 years old are still laying a fair number of large sized eggs .What more can you ask for.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Heck, must get some Leghorns!

7. BitsyB

BitsyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern Delaware
    So my Golden Comet sex links, who were bred for laying eggs and lay eggs they do (and they started at a young age- 4 months), are going to peter out early?
    Uh oh, b/c I'm the kind of person who plans to keep them til they die of old age even if they stop laying (there's not much meat on their little bones anyway)

Something tells me I may have a lot of "pension collecting" chickens around... [​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My Welsummer hen is three and half years old will be four in March, she lays me an egg almost every day, from the beginning of Feb to October. I am planning on keeping her as long she lives because that type of quality goes a long ways.

My four year old SSHB lays at least two doz eggs a YEAR but she is a pet. She is from show quality lines. That's OK for me and my DD! Otherwise if she was not one of our pets, she would have been culled out.

9. Hi! I had 2 old Barred Rock hens that were still laying an egg or so a week at 10+ and 11+ years-old. Not 'good layers' at that age, but when they laid the eggs were huge (I wish I could remember at what age they stopped laying well).
    I thought those old girls would live forever, but they passed during a heat wave a few summers back.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I once gave away an entire flock of hens at 2 years old because they'd stopped laying and I thought they had reached that point..It wasn't until I joined BYC and became more familiar with the way of the chicken when I learned that they were actually in molt.
    My 3 Buff Orpingtons are 2 years old now and I'm getting one egg a day from them. They're molting. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by