What is the poop supposed to look like?

catsew

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
I have a couple 3 week old chicks, what is their poop supposed to look like? They've been on their medicated starter, are growing great and pooping and eating tons.
Today we put them outside while I was cleaning out their brooder and the poops seemed runny? Is that what they're supposed to look like or should they be more solid?
And if so, what should I do?
Thanks.

Chicks/chickens will have loose poop once in a while. They also poop ALOT! Most of the time their droppings should be more on the firmer side. Just make sure they have plenty of water and are drinking. Also make sure you are supplying them with some chick grit. Chick grit is important, they need it to properly digest their food.

P.S. Thank You to the BYC Poster before me = that site is very imformative, a little poopy...lol but great to have!!
smile.png

Last edited:
If you had them outside were they eating anything on the ground? If they were it's just a change in their diet. Mine were eating raspberry's and their poop was purple.

welcome-byc.gif

What you are proble seeing is cecal poop. It is runny and is nothing to be concerned about. If I remember correctly, every 5 times a chicken poops, they will poop cecal poop.
Good luck.
wink.png

Wow. Let me say that link was absolutely perfect for what I was looking for in an answer. I just would have preferred not to look at it over my breakfast
sickbyc.gif

But that is so good to know. I didn't realize until I kept reading down that all those pictures were normal, I thought it was just the first 3. The good news is that the chicks must be fine then since 99% of them look like the 2nd normal picture.
I just can't tell you how much better I feel now. And I won't freak out if there's any red either.

Thank you guys so much. This is the best group ever.

Back
Top Bottom