What is the poop supposed to look like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by catsew, Jun 26, 2011.

1. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I have a couple 3 week old chicks, what is their poop supposed to look like? They've been on their medicated starter, are growing great and pooping and eating tons.
    Today we put them outside while I was cleaning out their brooder and the poops seemed runny? Is that what they're supposed to look like or should they be more solid?
    And if so, what should I do?
    Thanks.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Chicks/chickens will have loose poop once in a while. They also poop ALOT! Most of the time their droppings should be more on the firmer side. Just make sure they have plenty of water and are drinking. Also make sure you are supplying them with some chick grit. Chick grit is important, they need it to properly digest their food.

P.S. Thank You to the BYC Poster before me = that site is very imformative, a little poopy...lol but great to have!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    If you had them outside were they eating anything on the ground? If they were it's just a change in their diet. Mine were eating raspberry's and their poop was purple.

[​IMG]

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    What you are proble seeing is cecal poop. It is runny and is nothing to be concerned about. If I remember correctly, every 5 times a chicken poops, they will poop cecal poop.
    Good luck. [​IMG]

6. mrsruvi

mrsruvi Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Tucson
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    That is an very good link...

8. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Wow. Let me say that link was absolutely perfect for what I was looking for in an answer. I just would have preferred not to look at it over my breakfast [​IMG]

But that is so good to know. I didn't realize until I kept reading down that all those pictures were normal, I thought it was just the first 3. The good news is that the chicks must be fine then since 99% of them look like the 2nd normal picture.
    I just can't tell you how much better I feel now. And I won't freak out if there's any red either.

Thank you guys so much. This is the best group ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by