What is the proper thing to do?

Artana

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
My first time ordering chicks from a very reputable farm with stellar opinions given to it in the BYC forums. I ordered the required 25 chicks, 6 of one breed and 19 of the other. In my communications by email I was told extras were always sent to compensate for losses. I received the chicks last Tuesday night- nearly Wednesday. Picked them up at the Post Office near midnight after being sent home earlier in the evening when I was told to expect them in. I took them to my friend's place who is set up to take care of them- an old time rancher. In the dim light of his chick area I counted 3 dead in the shipping box. I saw one was of the Black breed and thought the other two were of the same breed but the blue variety. I visited a few days later (Friday) and saw the chicks in the daylight for the first time. The rancher had kept the 3 dead in a paperbag on his semi-indoor porch. I saw 1 black dead one and two browns (not the blues I thought). By this time I had already let the shipper/farmer know that I had 3 dead Blue/Black. I corrected the count to the farmer but haven't heard back.

Here is my concern: The count turned out to be 6 total live browns due to his addition of 2 extra browns, I ended up with what I ordered.

The Blue/Blacks which cost double of the browns- with one dead meant that I was short 2( possibly 3 because the chicks move around so much I get a different black color count by one every third time I count, I decided to use the larger number in favor of the farmer) birds to begin with and there obviously were no extras put in.

So-do I let it go? I have no choice really, unless the farmer decides to address it and refund some money.

I am disappointed that the order wasn't correct to begin with and I sent an email to update the farmer and haven't received a response.

I thought I would want to know if I were at the seller/shipper end but perhaps that is just the way these things go?

I was hoping for a better experience. I like the chicks that are thriving. I was expecting them in late April as indicated when I ordered but for whatever reason I was notified on Monday after they shipped that they were on their way.

Thanks for any insights.

I ended up with what I ordered.

So what is the problem? they were sent early and you accepted. Not a life shattering deal. You got what you ordered, be happy.

I ended up with what I order of the brown birds not the black and blue more expensive birds. I was short 2-3 depending on the final count.

The early part was simply an afterthought of any weather consequences. I live in the far frigid north and we don't see spring until June.

I may just assume someone else had an order close to what mine was.

Mistakes are made- in reading, writing and arithmetic.

I will consider it a $20-30 lesson.

Extras are just that, extras. Hard to allege that you have a right to something extra. I would leave it alone.

There was an interesting, and actually entertaining thread a week ago in the incubating/chicks category about "peanuts" - extra birds that are tossed in the shipping box to help keep the rest warm, and well... to balance out Hatchery numbers. Across the boards it is my understanding that it's not an exact science. If this is something you do in the future, I'd recommend researching and finding breeders who can send exactly what you want. There are sources for smaller orders, but being in the 'far north' I'd wait until warmer weather makes for easier transport.
So sorry you lost three... that's always tough.

Good luck and have fun with the rest of them

we usually add packing peanuts but they are always the same breed the buyer is already buying. This way if one or two die along the way they still get what they ordered. I think what the OP is talking about is she ended up with the correct number of chicks total, but she paid more for a certain color and those are the ones she is short on.

Back
Top Bottom