What is the range for free range turkeys

Ahenning05

Hatching
Sep 5, 2018
I have two acres with small woodline, will I have problems with free range turkeys crossing the road and jumping on neighbors car or anything like that. Differences in range with heritage vs broad breasted? I plan on having them secured at night in a walkin shed with a medium size run in. But I would let them out during the day

Yah I think my neighbors wouldn't care because there's already so much wildlife here wild turkeys are around all the time... I'm more worried about them jumping on there car and stuff.. if that is something I need to worry about I'm not even going to bother a fence like that would be a huge operation and maintenance especially how the winters are here
It is just my belief but if a person does not try to keep their animals on their own property, they don't have any business having those animals.

When I said I wouldn't bother I meant j wouldn't bother free ranging turkeys. But you really have a fence around your ten acre property?
Yes I have a fence around the 12 acre property just like I had a fence around the 240 acre property I used to have. There is also cross fencing. The majority of the fencing is 3 strand barb wire. Only the 2 acre parcel plus the guinea area are enclosed in the welded wire fencing.

I have two acres with small woodline, will I have problems with free range turkeys crossing the road and jumping on neighbors car or anything like that. Differences in range with heritage vs broad breasted? I plan on having them secured at night in a walk in shed with a medium size run in. But I would let them out during the day
If you don't have a perimeter fence, they will not respect the property boundaries. I free range my turkeys in an approximate 2 acre area. My perimeter fence is 2"x4"x6' welded wire. If your perimeter fence has a pipe, rail, etc. for the top of the fence the turkeys will perch on it and almost always will get down on the wrong side of the fence.

What kind of chickens do you own? Do you then have to fence your entire yard?
I am assuming that you meant to ask what kind of turkeys I have. They are all heritage turkeys, Blue Slate, Royal Palm, and Sweetgrass.

I live on approximately 12 acres but only two acres + the guinea pen is watered and green and has trees. The whole perimeter is fenced to keep people and their animals from trespassing. Since I put up the welded wire fencing, I have not had to shoot anymore dogs that people allow to run free.

I have a 50'x100' run that is attached to the coop. The turkeys and chickens share this run and get to free range on the 2 acres during the daytime. The guineas have their own coop and an attached 69'x114' fenced area that is outside of the 2 acre area.

If you don't have a perimeter fence, they will not respect the property boundaries. I free range my turkeys in an approximate 2 acre area. My perimeter fence is 2"x4"x6' welded wire. If your perimeter fence has a pipe, rail, etc. for the top of the fence the turkeys will perch on it and almost always will get down on the wrong side of the fence.[/QUOT
If you don't have a perimeter fence, they will not respect the property boundaries. I free range my turkeys in an approximate 2 acre area. My perimeter fence is 2"x4"x6' welded wire. If your perimeter fence has a pipe, rail, etc. for the top of the fence the turkeys will perch on it and almost always will get down on the wrong side of the fence.
What kind of chickens do you own? Do you then have to fence your entire yard?

With 2 acres, you're going to need a fence to keep them from visiting the neighbors. They're more likely to wander when they're young, or if the girls want a better nest spot (I can almost guarantee your neighbor has THE BEST porch for egg laying). Heritage breeds are more active than broad breasted, so they're more likely to wander just because they're more likely to walk around in general.

Yah I think my neighbors wouldn't care because there's already so much wildlife here wild turkeys are around all the time... I'm more worried about them jumping on there car and stuff.. if that is something I need to worry about I'm not even going to bother a fence like that would be a huge operation and maintenance especially how the winters are here

When I said I wouldn't bother I meant j wouldn't bother free ranging turkeys. But you really have a fence around your ten acre property?

Back
Top Bottom