What is the topmost priorty which a chicken coop should consider?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kathrine001, Apr 19, 2011.

1. kathrine001

kathrine001 New Egg

Apr 19, 2011
    Hello Everyone,

This is Kathrine, I am a New in this field. It was a dream come true when I got a Chicken coop as a birthday gift from my beloved hubby. He is basically a farmer. My knowledge regarding chicken coop is really limited, can anyone help me and suggest me that what a new person should do while dealing with chicken coops?

Thanks.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    First priority in my mind is predator proof if it is not contained in a predator proof run.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    2nd priority is to read, read & read some more! Lot's of great info on here.

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

5. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    My list of priorities..not in any particular order...

predator proof--- chicken wire keeps chickens in, NOT predators out!
    lots of ventilation
    bigger than you think you need
    location ---not in a low area that will be prone to puddles
    tall enough for you to get in if need be
    3"- 4"wide roosts and higher than nests
    painted inside and out
    1 nest for every 3 - 5 birds

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to the forum! [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

Lock them up every night no matter how secure your run is since that is when most predators like to roam and they have enough private time to do a lot of damage. There is still a risk from predators during the day but not nearly as much.

Keep it dry. If it gets wet, it will probably stink and you can have serious health problems, either you or the chickens.

Sufficient roost space. When they are on the rosots, they don't take up much space, but they need extra space to get up on the roosts. I find that mine can be pretty vicious on the roosts in protecting their pecking order rights. Those lower in the pecking order sometimes need room to get away from the bossy ones.

Don't let the poop build up too much. How big an issue this may become depends on how many chickens you have in what sized coop and how much time they spend in the coop. The management techniques required to handle this will be different for each of us.

Don't put too many chickens in there. Again, the answer to how many is too many will depend on many different things, mainly your management techniques and climate. I find that, up to a limit, the more space you provide per chicken, the less effort you have to take managing them.

Whether you need to feed or water in the coop or outside depends on a lot of different things. (You'll notice that most things concerning chickens do not have a definite answer. "It depends" is pretty common.) If you leave your chickens locked in the coop well after they wake up, such as you want to sleep in Saturday morning, you should provide water and feed in the coop. If you consistently let them out pretty early, where you feed and water becomes personal preference.

Don't leave eggs in the coop overnight. They are a temptation to certain predators, especially rats and snakes which are real hard to keep out.

Chicken feed will attract rodents, especially mice. If you have chicken feed, you will have mice. Nothing "it depends" about that one. Keep the chicken feed in a mouse-proof container, such as a metal garbage can with a secure lid. They will chew through a plastic one. I have trouble finding garbage cans with secure lids. You might need to use a bungy cord or something like that to hold it on. Raccoons can take the lid off, even with a bungy cord. Whether or not that is an issue "depends" on your specific circumstances.

Provide one nest for every 4 hens, but a minimum of two nests. There will be times you appreciate having the extra nest(s), even if most of them usually use the same one.

Try to leave the area in front of the roosts clear to provide them a safe landing area when coming down from the roosts. Chickens can fly, but they are not especially graceful about it. They can injure themselves by hitting things like feeders or waterers on the way down. This is not a huge issue, but I consider it a good practice.

From a management aspect, that is about all I can think of right now. Good luck and again, [​IMG]

8. chickflick247

chickflick247 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Wilton, CA
    [​IMG] from CA [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana! [​IMG]

10. Mallory

Mallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    Quote:THIS is something I've been trying to figure out for the past two days! LOL I will be a first time chicken owner, and only ever really knowing about dogs lead me to assume you'd need a separate nest for each hen. [​IMG] Guess I'll keep searching now that I can sort of narrow it down, and learn more. I'm curious if they will nest on top of another hens egg. I'm guessing yes now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by