What is the youngest you have had a pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tazcat70, Jan 26, 2009.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

lay their first egg? Is it completely unheard of for a 13+ week old to lay an egg? I don't know for sure or anything because I have 4 bantams. But I have owned these 4 bantam girls for over a year and this little egg did not look like theirs. The pullets are standard sized.

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    18 weeks 4 days for a standard buff orpington hen. Probably pretty rare but I'm sure it happens sometimes at 13 weeks old.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    15 weeks for Black and Brown sex links.
    15 weeks for their mutt off spring.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Wow! Mine are 14 weeks old now Bo's. They are not ready to lay yet I am sure. Their combs are not red yet. Maybe soon. What a wonderful supprise you all had. jean

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    16 weeks for my serama pullets and 14 weeks for a few of my cochins other cochins were 5-6 months old before they started laying

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    17 1/2 weeks. White Rocks from Murray McMurray. They are so pretty! If you looked at them, no way you would think hatchery. Very impressed with their health, temperment and looks!

7. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I am interested in this as well. One of my 12 week old Showgirls took quite an interest in a nest box today. She was rooting around in it and I later saw little dips in it like someone had made a nest and noone typically goes into that box. Someone had also kicked out all the bedding yesterday in that box and I had to fill it back up.

And hubby SWEARS he heard her or her litter mates making very adult like sounds, similiar to what you hear when they lay an egg.

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My girls were 28 weeks before they laid their first eggs. Then again they are silkies.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  9. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Quote:That would be so cool ifin mine followed your sexlinks example.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I found a blue egg last month and my EEs couldn't have been more than 16weeks. A month later I found 2 blue eggs today. Other than that my japs all started laying at around 20weeks and my 4month old mutts haven't laid yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by