What is this breed? Animal rescue

She's very pretty. You are now her family now. She will need proper food, water and shelter and a nest somewhere (eventually) to lay eggs. Also be mindful that chickens lungs are on their back so they cannot breathe when put on their back/upside down.

She likely got separated from flock if the flock was threatened by a predator in the park. If you keep her get another chicken to keep her company.

Thanks SandyRiverChick

We live in a small , sunny country Singapore, where most people do not keep chickens as pets. Hence reaching out to families who have a flock and willing to keep her is an issue.

This poor chick should be from the park, somehow wondered off from her siblings and family. there are a number of wild boars, stray dogs that live in that park too. Our main worry is that she might that fall prey to these predators.

My mum suggested looking for her family by combing through the park again. We did that last week but she is seems more keen in following us than engaging with the other chickens.
OH! I live part time in Hawaii and I'm familiar with wild chickens as opposed to farm chickens. I didnt realize that is the situation. You're doing the right thing but like you said, I bet she's made the transition to being domesticated so you may eventually have to either get more yourself or find a farm elsewhere.

She's very pretty. You are now her family now. She will need proper food, water and shelter and a nest somewhere (eventually) to lay eggs. Also be mindful that chickens lungs are on their back so they cannot breathe when put on their back/upside down.
Oh that’s a very useful tip! We will be very mindful not to put on their back or upside down.

We are interested to find out her breed so that we will know her characteristics, her adult size and then find a suitable cage and food for her. I gather that different breeds have differing behaviours

And we live in a tiny apartment - only 700 plus sq feet and have to adjust our home to accommodate her.

Getting a second chick, should it be around the same age as her? We do not know how many weeks old, is she 5 weeks or older?

In additional , Getting a pet chick in Singapore most likely mean that we need to purchase an ornamental chick from the breeders.

We are hesitant to venture that route since we do not know how she will react to another chick and most importantly, buying a chick feels wrong to us - since we are avid animals rescuers and usually release them back to the wild after treating them.

Raising a chick is so different from raising baby birds which I have tons of experience. :(

How should we keep it from chipping so loudly? We gave it plenty of fresh water and chicken feed.

Is it around 5 to 6 weeks old? So many questions and this is our first time raising a chick….
You can’t. It wants a mom and it thinks that you are the mom. The moms do not leave their side often so when you leave its begging for you to come back.

Oh that’s a very useful tip! We will be very mindful not to put on their back or upside down.

We are interested to find out her breed so that we will know her characteristics, her adult size and then find a suitable cage and food for her. I gather that different breeds have differing behaviours

And we live in a tiny apartment - only 700 plus sq feet and have to adjust our home to accommodate her.

Getting a second chick, should it be around the same age as her? We do not know how many weeks old, is she 5 weeks or older?

In additional , Getting a pet chick in Singapore most likely mean that we need to purchase an ornamental chick from the breeders.

We are hesitant to venture that route since we do not know how she will react to another chick and most importantly, buying a chick feels wrong to us - since we are avid animals rescuers and usually release them back to the wild after treating them.

Raising a chick is so different from raising baby birds which I have tons of experience. :(
If possible i would get another chick, they do better with more birds because they are flock animals and not solitary, if not you’ll need to be by their side 24/7

It shouldn’t feel wrong at all. I doubt this is a wild chicken, it has to be a pet and got lost. (Depending on where you live of course) It needed help, it shouldn’t have been alone and it would’ve died. Its to young to be on its own. Don’t release him, if you can get another.

I hear you about the resuce idea. Instead of buying another chick, you should just try to give her to someone with other chicks. Being alone is not okay for her.

I hear you about the resuce idea. Instead of buying another chick, you should just try to give her to someone with other chicks. Being alone is not okay for her.
Agreed. Chickens strive and live their best life in flocks. They aren’t solitary so it would be somewhat cruel to keep her alone.

Does her companion need to be around the same age as her?

From what I know, the families who have ornamental chickens do not adopt wild mixed breed chickens.

Unfortunately, the local shelter for abandoned chickens has also closed down.

This means that we need to buy another chick

Last edited:
Thanks SandyRiverChick

We live in a small , sunny country Singapore, where most people do not keep chickens as pets. Hence reaching out to families who have a flock and willing to keep her is an issue.

This poor chick should be from the park, somehow wondered off from her siblings and family. there are a number of wild boars, stray dogs that live in that park too. Our main worry is that she might that fall prey to these predators.

My mum suggested looking for her family by combing through the park again. We did that last week but she is seems more keen in following us than engaging with the other chickens.
Are there feral chickens around? If so, she’s probably the same breed as them.
Does her companion need to be around the same age as her?

From what I know, the families who have ornamental chickens do not adopt wild mixed breed chickens.

Unfortunately, the local shelter for abandoned chickens has also closed down.

That lets us buying another chick
If you can spend a lot of time with her, you could wait to get her a companion, which gives you a wider range of ages to choose from. (For example, a 4 month old hen can be kept with a 3 month old, another 4 month old, or a chicken over 4 months old.)

Back
Top Bottom