What is this? Can we eat it?

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Good morning! I am making breakfast and came across this weird chunk in my egg white. Normally I'd just toss it and move on, until my second egg also had it! Two different chickens, 1 EE and 1 ISA Brown. Both just turned1 yr old. Probably laid close together in date but cannot be certain.

Background info: We were feeding all flock with free choice oyster shell but stopped that about 3 weeks ago. They are on straight layer feed, free choice oyster shell, *some* treats (not many because getting their proper feed in order again) and daily free ranging most of the day. Both hens are acting normal and seem quite healthy.

Thank you!

EDIT: It appears both eggs were fertilized so they were laid either before or during the feed transition. Our rooster has been gone for 2 months.

Attachments

• PXL_20210506_135933460.jpg
    PXL_20210506_135933460.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210506_094923_01 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210506_094923_01 (1).jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
To me this looks as if your hen is suffering from salpingitis, which is an infection of the oviduct.

Thank you! I looked that up and the size seems quite small in comparison to lash eggs. If it is this, can it be contagious since two hens had it happen at the same time? Maybe I should bring it over to the vet to look at?

I added another photo for size reference.

Thank you! I looked that up and the size seems quite small in comparison to lash eggs. If it is this, can it be contagious since two hens had it happen at the same time? Maybe I should bring it over to the vet to look at?

I added another photo for size reference.
With time and progressing infection the expelled amount tissue/pus will get bigger. If caught early and treated with antibiotics they can recover.

If you have doubts, you can let your vet analyze it, this would also help to know which antibiotic to use.

Thank you @LaFleche for the warning signs of something bigger to watch out for!

After cracking another ten eggs that were laid after the earlier two I could not find anymore. Wanting to be extra cautious because of the possibility of needing antibiotics I put a call into my local chicken vet and she felt confident they were nothing to worry about at this time. Of course I will keep a watch on all the girls to be certain.

Good morning! I am making breakfast and came across this weird chunk in my egg white. Normally I'd just toss it and move on, until my second egg also had it! Two different chickens, 1 EE and 1 ISA Brown. Both just turned1 yr old. Probably laid close together in date but cannot be certain.

Background info: We were feeding all flock with free choice oyster shell but stopped that about 3 weeks ago. They are on straight layer feed, free choice oyster shell, *some* treats (not many because getting their proper feed in order again) and daily free ranging most of the day. Both hens are acting normal and seem quite healthy.

Thank you!

EDIT: It appears both eggs were fertilized so they were laid either before or during the feed transition. Our rooster has been gone for 2 months.
It doesn’t seem likely that they were fertilized if the roosters been gone for two months

It doesn’t seem likely that they were fertilized if the roosters been gone for two months
Exactly! I cannot say the exact date these were laid but they had the spot on the yolk I "thought" was from being fertile. I am still so new though that I most definitely could be wrong! Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom