What is this chick?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ILoveFarms, Sep 29, 2014.

1. ILoveFarms

ILoveFarms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    [​IMG]I have a new batch of chicks and I got one "free chick" that is a mystery to me. I believe it's a roo, but clueless to what kind of breed it is. Can anyone help me or is it just too soon to tell?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    It looks like a Blue Cochin to me. I had a few chicks that looked just like that and they grew up to be Blue Cochins.

3. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, it's way too young to tell the gender of, so could be a cockerel or a pullet. As for breed, I'm thinking maybe a blue andalusian? If it is, you are very lucky. They are beautiful birds!! Any way, it is a lovely blue chick. When it starts getting older, you could post more pictures. Then we might be able to tell you more certainly! :)

4. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be a cochin, but it doesn't have feathered legs. I'd still go with andalusian!

5. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    Your right!!! It also could be crossbred chick. Then it could be a mixture of anything.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  6. It sure is a beautiful chick! [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What hatchery did you order from, and what did you order? That can help narrow things down.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

Could be a Blue Andalusian, another blue breed, or a mix.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Andalusian or Blue Orpington.

10. ILoveFarms

ILoveFarms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    Thank you everyone! I ordered from Murray McMurray and I had the option to add a free "exotic chick" to the batch. My batch included EE's, Black Australorps, and a Buff Orpington roo. So maybe it's a Blue Orpington. I'll have to look up Blue Andalusion, I don't think I've ever heard of that. I will keep you posted as he/she grows. In case he's a rooster, I've been handling him a lot to keep him used to me. He seems to be the more aggressive. Thank you again for all your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by