What is this duck!? *added pic

countyroad1330

Thunder Snow 2009!
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Oklahoma!
I hatched this duckling from a blue tinted egg I found behind my house. All the ducks back there look like Blue Swedish, not a single solid white one out there. So where'd this one come from!? It is 8 weeks old today, I just took the pictures. Any ideas on gender?

xlarf4.jpg

3176xbs.jpg

Last edited:
It's cute...that's for sure
big_smile.png

It kind of looks like a production quality runner, but runner eggs are usually white or greenish I thought.

I added another pic. I definitely don't think its a runner, I've had one of those before. So maybe its a rarity since its white? One taker for a hen? Dang it! I've been calling it a he since it hatched, and everyone else calls it a she. *ha* Its beak is kinda bluish, that help anyone?

I have 2 with blue bills. I got them as pekins, but small ones. Sometimes they vary in sizes, I guess, like anything else.

This is one of the Quack Sisters. I can't tell the two apart, so they don't have names anymore.
213258771_b08fc62a52.jpg

It is young enough that it may not show a drake feather yet. I agree that it looks like it has Runner in it. Even pet quality Runners that are 100% Runners can look just like that. Actually, it might possibly even have Hookbill in it since they lay blue eggs.

As far as the White color, it is actually a pretty easy color to get. It is recessive, so all it means is that the two parent birds have to have the genetic information to have a white offspring. There are numerous duck breeds that come in solid white- Mallards, Pekins, Runners, Calls, Campbells, Aylesbury, Dutch Hookbills, etc...

This is my fawn runner (in the back). She doesn't look very runner, but she was bought by her original owner from a hatchery as a runner and she lays eggs like a runner. She could be a mix, but more than likely she is just a production quality runner. The mystery white duck reminds me of her in the body shape and head.
1002440.jpg

Back
Top Bottom