What is this duck, how do I care for it.......

PaulaHancock

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 9, 2012
My son in law brought me this. She was not moving and her left eye is injured. She has perked up and swims in the pool now but still not eating. I am in Oklahoma and plan to take her to someone tomorrow who knows how to care for her more than me. Thanks,
Paula

She looks like a pied billed grebe to me. How long have you had her?

Is she drinking water?

Can you get her some small feeder fish? That is something she would eat in the wild.

Are you taking her to a waterfowl rehabilitator?

She is lovely.

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Yes, pied billed grebe. They're carnivores and eat fish and crayfish. But, if you plan on taking her to a wildlife rehabber tomorrow, I wouldn't feed her anything and just make sure she has water to drink and is comfortable. I've never seen them eat any other kind of food other than fish and crayfish.

Last edited:
Thank you all soooooo much! She seems happy with the dish washing pan full of water and you are right, she will not eat anything. Fish from Wal mart was my next trick. She is drinking and likes it when I "rain" on her. I played a few duck calls for her from Youtube and she reacted to them 8) I wish we lived in the country so I could get a couple of ducks. I will look for a place to send her tomorrow. Thank you again!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom