What is this Duck thinking

Pics
Miss Lydia posted before I finished typing...  :D   Male duck is a drake, a female is a hen or a duck. 
Your girl is not odd... I think the head bobs can mean different things.  Mine do it most when I'm changing their water... I take it to mean "hurry up and get out of our way!"  or "thanks mom"...  :gig  

Check this out...  http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/artquacks.htm   Has sound clips of quacks.   But I have to disagree with the freckles on the bill part, because I have a drake that developed freckles.  :(

I kind of agree with you! I think she does it when she gets excited about something...whether it's a good excited or an anxious excited I'm not sure!

So here's another question! Every single time I go into my ducks enclosure, no matter what purpose I entered for be it feeding, watering, visiting etc. When I go to
The gate to leave...my male mallard chases after me and pecks at my feet. He might be in the middle of the most perfect swim, whatever he is doing he stops when I near the door and he chases after me!! I do it sometimes just to tease him bc it's so cute and hilarious! I always ask him why he does it, but he won't tell me!

So here's another question! Every single time I go into my ducks enclosure, no matter what purpose I entered for be it feeding, watering, visiting etc. When I go to
The gate to leave...my male mallard chases after me and pecks at my feet. He might be in the middle of the most perfect swim, whatever he is doing he stops when I near the door and he chases after me!! I do it sometimes just to tease him bc it's so cute and hilarious! I always ask him why he does it, but he won't tell me!

Either he thinks he is trying to protect his mate, or he sees you as a potential mate...

My old drake use to do this to me as soon as I would turn to walk out the gate I could hear him flapping his webs behind me but as soon as I would turn around he would stop and look at me like What?He never touch me though. I always took it as he was showing me the door.

:lau

Thank you for the comments guys, Goldie was flattered!
1f496.png
she'll probably have some cute fluffy butt babies! I think everyone heard your squeeeee @Julie Bird lol.
ME TOO!!!!!! In fact, "duck" was my first word! It wasn't mama, it wasn't dada, it was "duck." I've always been crazy about all birds, I have 2 sweet cockatiel girls that are my babies too. I've tried numerous times to hatch duck eggs and wild bird eggs that I rescued, but they ended up dying. I managed to hatch 2 cardinal babies a year ago that I had to rescue from a nest way too weak and low that our cats kept trying to get. I used a heating pad and wet wash cloth. One died on it's second day of life. The other died on it's sixth. They weren't growing and their digestive system was clogged. I fed them every 15 minutes from 8:00am to 8:00pm every day. I respect wild bird mothers
1f636.png
. I would not use a heating pad again. I've been wanting ducklings my whole life and I finally have them, chickens as well. I never imagined I'd be kissing chickens :lau
Good!!! I am glad. Bless you for your efforts helping wild birds. That is awesome. I love birds, too. Funny you mentioned kissing chickens. The times I get to hold my extremely birds I give them the kissing treatment. It's not my fault they are cute, soft and warm.

My old drake use to do this to me as soon as I would turn to walk out the gate I could hear him flapping his webs behind me but as soon as I would turn around he would stop and look at me like What?He never touch me though. I always took it as he was showing me the door.
Ha-ha, flapping his webs behind you. Cute.

That's funny and adorable.

Thanks all, I guess we will never know the real reason these guys do the things they do! I don't take it as him trying to be mean to me...it really stumps me!

You think he wanted you to leave?

Thanks all, I guess we will never know the real reason these guys do the things they do! I don't take it as him trying to be mean to me...it really stumps me!
You're welcome. No, not mean at all. Really. He is a very innocent bird. It is cute he does that but there's no vicious malice intended. He needs a good scooping and kissing for that behavior.

Back
Top Bottom