What is this floating thing inside egg?

loves2hatch

Songster
12 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Central Iowa
Does anyone know what this floating thing could be?
I'm just curious.. If you have seen it before and did those eggs with it hatch?
I candled this egg when I brought it home yesterday 4-11-14 and again today 4-12-14 before I put it in the incubator and it's still there.

Thanks

edited to include the video of the un-incubated egg:
0.jpg

update: this is day 9 of incubation on the egg that had the meat spot. It is alive and moving during candling.

0.jpg

Last edited:
It does seem to be the start of a developing chick. Floating around like that is not a good sign and I believe it somehow started incubating and stopped as it wasn't being incubated.

Stab in the dark is that a hen is sleeping in nesting box and egg was from day before so started to incubate.

Hard to see for sure, but I believe it's your developing chick...

It does seem to be the start of a developing chick. Floating around like that is not a good sign and I believe it somehow started incubating and stopped as it wasn't being incubated.

Stab in the dark is that a hen is sleeping in nesting box and egg was from day before so started to incubate.
I hope it's not a developing chick, I had not put it in the incubator yet. I suppose it's possible the hen is sleeping in the nest box. Would it develop that much overnight? I don't know the person I got the eggs from. The person I'm hatching these eggs for set me up with them.
I'll see how candling goes in 7 days, it's marked so I can keep an eye on it. If I would have thought that it had started developing already, I would have put it in the incubator right away and not let them set out overnight. =( that's disappointing news.
Thanks for the replies.

If the egg is less than a couple days old and was taken off the nest right after if was laid, then it is probabaly a meat spot. A spec of blood in the egg from when it was developed inside the hen. The big grocery egg companys candle their eggs to make sure they have none of these in their eggs for sale to the public.

If the egg is less than a couple days old and was taken off the nest right after if was laid, then it is probabaly a meat spot. A spec of blood in the egg from when it was developed inside the hen. The big grocery egg companys candle their eggs to make sure they have none of these in their eggs for sale to the public.
Ok, that makes since it being a meat spot. I never thought of that. I looked it up after reading your comment, sadly it sounds like it probably won't hatch. I won't pull it yet but will wait until I do my candling at 7 days to see if it gets veining, It also sounds like if it does get veining it will die early in the shell and won't fully develop. Bummer.

update: day 9 of candling the egg that had the meat spot.. It has small veining and embryo moving. I put this video on first post. I will candle it again around day 14.

day 14. chick still moving and good veining. Looks promising it may hatch after all.
0.jpg

I wanted to keep all the video's of this egg on the first page but the edit button on that page is gone.

Back
Top Bottom