What is this? (flower)

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
2983_img_1614.jpg

This bush was here when I moved into the house. It flowers spring, summer and fall. I don't really know what to do with it, so it's usually a tangled mess of old wood and new growth. Right now it's smack dab in the middle of the side yard (in the way!). In the hottest part of the summer it quits flowering and looks kinda dead.

What is it?
Can I dig it up and move it?
In the late fall can I just mow the canes down and still get flowers the next year?

Just another odd little plant in my yard! It must be hardy as I never do anything to it (including water) and it's still striving. I don't want to kill it, but it needs to move.

Thanks,
CG

Well, dang. Look at that. Thanks!

Can I cut it back to the ground and transplant it next spring? Does it flower on new growth or old?

Thanks again for the link to the other site. I have never seen another and I've been looking around for a while.

We cut back the dead growth (wait until they've died back and go brown). The deer get some of the still living material during the winter. You can cut it back and transplant with no problem. It will flower on old growth (easy to prune in fall as living stems will remain green through winter).

Back
Top Bottom