What is this gray poop?

Not sure how to answer that. It's just regular dirt? The same dirt as they've had for their 10 months of life. I have sand in the bottom of their run and wonder if the longer hours there due to the winter weather has them snacking on it?
Maybe a photo of the dirt or sand or whatever they live on?
What goes in, comes out. Rocks in the poop are various colors of black to grey, 'dirt' can be colors too - is your dirt black, grey or a combination?
When my Gals eat wood ash, their poop is black, when they dig where there's red clay, their poop is tinted an orangish color, when they dig in the woods in leaf litter, it's a dark color...

Do you note any hen that is not well -lethargic, not eating/drinking, sitting about?
1643166555892.jpeg

Maybe a photo of the dirt or sand or whatever they live on?
What goes in, comes out. Rocks in the poop are various colors of black to grey, 'dirt' can be colors too - is your dirt black, grey or a combination?
When my Gals eat wood ash, their poop is black, when they dig where there's red clay, their poop is tinted an orangish color, when they dig in the woods in leaf litter, it's a dark color...

Do you note any hen that is not well -lethargic, not eating/drinking, sitting about?
View attachment 2972878
They all seem fine and are acting normally - alert, interactive, eating, drinking, pooping, etc. You've got me thinking now that perhaps this is being caused by them digging in one of our flower beds that had a dark colored mulch put into it. I didn't find any of this yesterday, so you may have nailed the cause. They all poop normally in the morning, so I hope it's nothing chronic to worry about.

and if it was hyperacidity and it happens again, it may clear up on its own again. As the sad bromelian case showed, medicating has risks unless we are absolutely sure we know what's wrong (and usually we don't).

I have noted ash grey stool on occasion this winter. I also see many of my birds eating “grit” sand from the poop trays, which also has PDZ, but only one grey poop pile on the board so prob not the PDZ. I do have wood ash in dust bath area. All my girls look great so I’m just monitoring for now and not too concerned.

Back
Top Bottom