What is this guy?

DCS

Songster
11 Years
Nov 26, 2008
I don't know if he's the "rare chick" or what, but this dude (Who is most definitely a dude) is really flashy. He came from McMurry in a heavy assortment. He's pretty big - on the order of my NH Roo, and doesn't take any crap from anyone.

I love his colors, but have no clue what he is. Anyone? He's about 4 months old, and has the longest tail feathers of the bunch, probably because he harasses the other, smaller roos.

035.jpg

036.jpg

Thanks!
Danielle

Certainly not a Partridge Rock. Doesn't the McMurray catalog have pictures of all the breeds they sell?
If he's a breed it's one I'm not familiar with-looks to me like a cross of some sort. McMurray doesn't actually own any birds-they contract for eggs & I'd guess someone slipped in an egg from a mixed mating.

No, not a partridge rock. I had 3 PR roosters and they don't look anything like him.

Just for reference, here is what a PR looks like.

PRRoo319-wks.jpg

Not sure what he is, but he certainly is a big guy!

I have poured through the catalog as well, as the leghorn is the closest I can come. He sure is pretty, though...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't tell.

Looks like a cubalaya...they have long back and tails held almost parallel to the ground, VERY feisty as they were originally bred for fighting in southern america.

They come in many color variations, the most prominent in America is black-breasted red cubalaya.

He is GORGEOUS!!!
droolin.gif

Quote:
Sorry, but Cubalaya aren't anywhere near the heavy breed shape. They aren't feisty either, they're quite tame. The cock in the photo is single combed and large wattled, not to mention a heavy weight. Cubalaya are peacombed, little or no wattle and light weight.

See? No comparison:

Picture139.jpg

Besides, McMurray doesn't carry cubalaya.
wink.png

Gee, I'm stumped too!
hu.gif
Looks kinda like a Cornish. A Cornish mix (I didn't know hatcheries gave mixes, apart from the cornichXrock cross, but those are white).

Back
Top Bottom