What is this? Help me out.

Hi, welcome to BYC, that is a cockerel, you can see that a bit by his shape, tall with a big chest (that it's not a 100% indicator) and by his saddle feathers, the long feathers that are dropping down right before the tail.
Thanks! That makes sense about the feathers dropping before the tail. I had never thought much about that trait before.

So far he's been really good--but he has started to approach me more and stare at me. Being new to cockerels/roosters, I'm not entirely sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

It could be the first sign of a potential issue or it could be nothing.

One thing to do is to make a practice of "walking through" him. No challenging or chasing him, but just walking straight through the place where he's standing and forcing him to move as you go about your mysterious business as The Giant Who Brings Food (who is not a part of the flock anymore than a horse or a cow would be).

I actually keep some random buckets and other pieces of loose equipment in the coop/run that I can pick up and move just so I can walk though my males -- forcing them to step aside for me.

I don't try to stare them down or in any way indicate challenge. I am a force of nature beyond a mere chicken's comprehension. But I do talk to them the entire time while I'm moving through the coop doing things.

He’s defiantly a rooster. You can see the tail starting to get longer. And he is also standing like a roo too! I bet he will start crowing shortly!

It could be the first sign of a potential issue or it could be nothing.

One thing to do is to make a practice of "walking through" him. No challenging or chasing him, but just walking straight through the place where he's standing and forcing him to move as you go about your mysterious business as The Giant Who Brings Food (who is not a part of the flock anymore than a horse or a cow would be).

I actually keep some random buckets and other pieces of loose equipment in the coop/run that I can pick up and move just so I can walk though my males -- forcing them to step aside for me.

I don't try to stare them down or in any way indicate challenge. I am a force of nature beyond a mere chicken's comprehension. But I do talk to them the entire time while I'm moving through the coop doing things.
I tried the 'walk through' today a couple of times and he moved out of my way. Super useful. Thank you!

I tried the 'walk through' today a couple of times and he moved out of my way. Super useful. Thank you!

There are no guarantees, but I found the practice helpful and the idea of me not being top bird in the flock but, instead, not part of the flock at all, useful to help me keep the right mindset.

I freely admit that I've been lucky to have mild-tempered, laid-back males so far.

There are no guarantees, but I found the practice helpful and the idea of me not being top bird in the flock but, instead, not part of the flock at all, useful to help me keep the right mindset.

I freely admit that I've been lucky to have mild-tempered, laid-back males so far.
No, I think you've got a good approach trying to not be seen as part of the flock.

Me not knowing how in the world to do roosters, I started out trying to get them to think that I'm the Big One in charge, so I hope it's not too late to change the chickens' mindset.

Back
Top Bottom