What is this hen noise?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angiebubs, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I've heard 2 of my hens make this low rumble, (not quite a trill) almost purring noise. It seems like its either a content noise or something to do with the sun. Both times I've heard them, they were either bathing in the sun or staring at the sun coming through the window. Not sure if that is a coiencedence? Anyone know the sound Im discribing and why they do it? And why its only been 2 of my hens?> (one is a mixed banty and the other is a blk orp)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  2. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Any ideas?

3. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I think I know the trill, purring noise you are describing. When my chicken do this, it seems like they are saying, "I think I might see a predator but I am not sure". They are often looking at a far-away bird in the sky when they make this sound. Not sure if I am right. Cute sound though isn't it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    ck-newbe: Yes I love it! I especially love the trill sounds they make when content and drifting off. THis other noise though is a low/quiet rrrrrrrrrr sound. I have a hen that is hurt and she did it when I took her out in the sun and had her sitting in my lap. Today another hen did this....they were all calm and laying down in the bedding. She was standing there calm, head tilted up looking at the window and seemed in a trance when making this sound

5. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    One of my LBs makes that noise when she is sitting on my shoulder with her head snuggled in my hair. I told my friends that it sounded like she was purring - in chicken. [​IMG] One of my BAs makes the same noise when she is on my lap. It is a chicken purr and they will either close their eyes or bat them like "it" feels good. Similar but different to the danger trill.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I call it a "trill"- but when they do it for danger, it's a warning call. It IS slightly different.

I love to hear chicks when they trill as they get all comfy in their brooder. And I love it when an adult chicken favors ME with a trill!

7. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I heard a new noise today also.
    Three hens in the 3 boxes, and others
    wanting to get in, the ones in the boxes
    were making the funniest noises. I guess it
    could be described as a trill or growl or almost
    a coo.[​IMG]

8. openheartnp

openheartnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Green Twp, NJ
    A few of my girls growl, mostly out of annoyance-like someone near their nest box, or when they see something in the yard.

My spoiled baby growls loudly if you go to pick her up and she's not in the mood. But then she sits contentedly in my arms. Brat.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I call it a purr. They do it when they are content. They can also vibrate in your hand without making the purring sound when they are happy.

And yes there is the louder warning sound that sounds similar- a trilling warning.

10. Didi

Didi Out Of The Brooder

I also think this is the sound of contentment. All of my chickens do it when seemingly happy (I think it sounds a lot like the sound of a 'gremlin') but the Silkies and my little Black Breasted Red Phoenix hen do it the most.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by