What is this hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dani27, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Dani27

Dani27 Out Of The Brooder

She was hatched out of what we were told were Black Copper Marans eggs, and they were all the same color and dark, but 1 out of the 12 chicks seems to be something else. Although, she has now started laying and her eggs are just as dark as her "sisters" who are for sure pure. Anybody tell me what she may be? Since we know she isn't black copper, we have put her out with the cuckoos but would really like this mystery solved as the farm we bought the eggs from swears they had nothing together but black coppers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Many strains BCM cary hiden Wheaten gene and some times pop-up Wheaten Marans.I've seen BCM with very dark (mahogany) golden part.I yhink your hen is Mahogany Wheaten

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Maran

4. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. Dani27

So, what do you all think, okay to keep her with the black coppers and let her lay their eggs, or what? All we have are feathered leg BCMs in one coop and then the cuckoos open range next door. We don't really want to mix either one, but if it's a choice of culling or breeding, what choice would you make?

6. Dani27

Quote:Nothing came through on this post.

7. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If you want pure breeds, you don't want her wayward genes in there. If you can tell her egg from the others, it won't hurt to keep her for eating eggs, otherwise, it would be best to get rid of her.

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If she is from the same stock, those others already have the genes, just going to increase the chances of wheaten popping up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by