What is this? How do i treat this?

Arallen2014

Hatching
Feb 14, 2021
When my son went out to feed, water and to let our birds out, she saw that this happened to one of our hens. I went out to check on her as soon as he told me but it was already gone. What is this and how do i care for this???
inbound865435193658377530.jpg

That is a prolapsed vent. Do you mean that the prolapse is gone, or that the chicken is gone? A prolapse can happen with straining to lay an egg or from constipation or vent damage. Any red tissue should be kept moist with honey or a mild oil.

Appears as if she prolapsed. Possibly during or immediately after laying an egg. You said that the problem has since vanished, that's good. Keep an eye on her to ensure that it doesn't develop into a problem.

That is a prolapsed vent. Do you mean that the prolapse is gone, or that the chicken is gone? A prolapse can happen with straining to lay an egg or from constipation or vent damage. Any red tissue should be kept moist with honey or a mild oil.
We still have the hen but the red part is gone. Like within a 2 min time frame. It was oddly strange

Appears as if she prolapsed. Possibly during or immediately after laying an egg. You said that the problem has since vanished, that's good. Keep an eye on her to ensure that it doesn't develop into a problem.
How do i treat if it happens again... this is my first time raising chickens. She is 9 months old

That's a two part question really. Depends upon if the egg is still inside when she's prolapsed. If so, you'd treat it like an egg binding, which would suggest a warm bath to 'relax' the muscles and a calcium supplement to strengthen her contractions. If she's passed the egg, but her vent is still outside instead of inside, give her a warm bath to ensure that the vent is clean without rubbing or otherwise abrading the tissue more than the egg already has, then gently tucking the vent back into her. Remove from her bath, and blot her dry with a terry towel, then apply honey or triple antibiotic without pain relief onto the vent to keep it moist. Moist vent tissue can heal, dry vent tissue will die. Dead vent tissue is disastrous. Keep an eye on her. She's a young, recently started laying hen who is still getting all her girly-bits to play nicely with each other. It sounds as if she's laying larger eggs than her body is prepared to easily accommodate. It's very likely that she'll outgrow this problem, given her age.

Back
Top Bottom