What is this in my hen’s poop? (Picture)

loohoo

Songster
May 9, 2020
Southern Ohio, US
492899C2-8A01-410D-837A-42DB828A6615.jpeg

I posted yesterday about my 3y/o Barred Rock presenting with distended abdomen, squishy crop, and some labored breathing yesterday.
She spent the night inside, and I’ve been very closely monitoring her. I have some different observations, after having the time to really observe her.
No water or food after about 6PM yesterday, this morning her crop had gone down a little, but wasn’t empty. Still squishy.
She has an appetite - she ate an entire scrambled egg with Poultry Cell mixed on top, and picked at her crumble.
Abdomen is distended but firm, not squishy like I originally thought. I gave her a bath and really palpitated the area…it’s definitely more firm. She’s lost almost all the feathers on her backside and underneath her, some appear to be picked off. Skin isn’t really a red color, a bit irritated from diarrhea sticking to skin, I’ve bathed that off.
She’s alert, a bit vocal when you first walk in the room and like I said, has an appetite so I don’t want to give up on her yet. Breathing is still slightly noisy but no open beak gasping.
Diarrhea as pictured, which I know the green is bile but what is that tan round thing? It has an almost fatty texture, not hard.
Firm, distended abdomen sounds like egg peritonitis, doesn’t it? Can I attempt to treat with antibiotics available at TSC, or no? Since her crop is emptying slowly, should I treat for sour crop? Monistat? I know it’s likely not a great outcome but I want to attempt to help her, since she’s eating and alert.

I have Lincomycin, to be added to water. I’m afraid leaving her to her own devices, she won’t drink enough for it to be effective. I’d like to syringe it into her beak, but have no idea of an appropriate way to dose this, to do it this way. Any ideas?

The tan round thing could be lash material, caused by salpingitis. It also could be a bit of tissue from the oviduct. The squishy crop is likely from whatever is going on in her abdomen. Sometimes it's hard to know for sure until necropsy. It could be salpingitis (infection/inflamation of the oviduct), a cancer, internal laying/EYP, etc. Once the abdomen is bloated, whether it's fluid or infectious material, the outcome is generally not good. If you want to treat then most recommend Baytril (enrofloxacin). Salpingitis is very resistant to treatment unless it's caught very early, and it's usually not, but you can certainly try. You can get enrofloxacin here: https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=67a6fd1d7&_ss=r
More on salpingitis and lash material here: https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Back
Top Bottom