What is this lump?

Kieren2010

Hatching
Jan 21, 2024
Western Australia
Hi All,

I'm new to owning chickens and i have got some 11 week old easter eggers. I noticed one of them seemed behind in what the others were doing like flying up onto the cubby verandah and running around. I had a look over it and found this hard black spot on its wing that appears to go right through. I also found a lump on its side the same side as the affected wing. It appears to be eating and drinking fine and hasn't got any diarrhoea or anything strange like that. I never seen it being picked on by the others or anything like that. I have now isolated it from the rest and we have no vet in town. What could it be and what can/should i do?

Attachments

• 20240119_085548.jpg
    20240119_085548.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20240119_145039.jpg
    20240119_145039.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 24
That can be cancer or an abscess. Sometimes in grown feathers or wounds from fighting can get infected. The lump can be a secondary infection from rubbing on the wing one. Hard to tell.

You can try cleaning the wound and applying topical antibiotic on it, something like Neosporin. Soak it first, remove the scab and apply the antibacterial cream. Keep applying some of it twice a day, not too much, lightly cover the area. If it becomes black crusted again it's likely cancer. If it starts healing without the black crust it's likely an infected wound.

You could also give her an antibiotic orally to help fight the spreading infection.

Also, welcome to BYC :)

Hi All,

I'm new to owning chickens and i have got some 11 week old easter eggers. I noticed one of them seemed behind in what the others were doing like flying up onto the cubby verandah and running around. I had a look over it and found this hard black spot on its wing that appears to go right through. I also found a lump on its side the same side as the affected wing. It appears to be eating and drinking fine and hasn't got any diarrhoea or anything strange like that. I never seen it being picked on by the others or anything like that. I have now isolated it from the rest and we have no vet in town. What could it be and what can/should i do?
Welcome To BYC

What do you mean the wound seems to go right through the wing - like a hole?
Could the bird have been impaled by something?
Could she have been kicked?
Do you have a photo of the other side of the wing?

The swelling on the side of the abdomen, what does that feel like - fluid filled, air filled, hard, soft and pliable?
How about underneath the swelling - do you see any green or purple tinted skin?

Does she show signs of respiratory distress or gasping?

Any odors, pus or heat from the wound? If no odors, then I'd just clean the area with hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine. Apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment on the scab to keep it moist and soft.

The swelling of the side of the abdomen is more of a concern to me. Not sure what's going on there, hopefully by answering the questions, we can at least rule a few things out.

Welcome To BYC

What do you mean the wound seems to go right through the wing - like a hole?
Could the bird have been impaled by something?
Could she have been kicked?
Do you have a photo of the other side of the wing?

The swelling on the side of the abdomen, what does that feel like - fluid filled, air filled, hard, soft and pliable?
How about underneath the swelling - do you see any green or purple tinted skin?

Does she show signs of respiratory distress or gasping?

Any odors, pus or heat from the wound? If no odors, then I'd just clean the area with hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine. Apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment on the scab to keep it moist and soft.

The swelling of the side of the abdomen is more of a concern to me. Not sure what's going on there, hopefully by answering the questions, we can at least rule a few things out.
Hi Wyorp rock,

The wound on the top part of the wing is significantly smaller on the other side. You can see the smaller one and how it is almost meeting up with the big one sorry they aren't the greatest photos. I doubt she has been impaled or kicked though.

The side lump is hard as is the wing. Not odd colouring anywhere.

No signs or any respiratory problems

No odours, pus or heat from the wing. There is heat coming from the lump on the side though.
Ill start putting some stuff on the wound. Do i need to remove the scab first?
20240122_053356.jpg
20240122_053441.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.
Does she roam about? Could something have gotten a hold of her like a Fox or Dog?
Looks like similar to a puncture wound doesn't it.

I'd be inclined to source some Amoxicillin or Baytril and get her started on an antibiotic, unless vet care is an option.

The swelling on the side is still concerning though.

I'm going to tag in @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they have other suggestions.

Interesting.
Does she roam about? Could something have gotten a hold of her like a Fox or Dog?
Looks like similar to a puncture wound doesn't it.

I'd be inclined to source some Amoxicillin or Baytril and get her started on an antibiotic, unless vet care is an option.

The swelling on the side is still concerning though.

I'm going to tag in @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they have other suggestions.
Yeah she roams around but no my dog has no interest in them and my yard is secure from any other predators. Its like a puncture wound on one side and or a if it had been caught and it had rubbed through to the other side.

Alright ill try that. We have no vet in town atm unfortunately.

I agree that may be a predator attack. Hopefully, the side is just swollen, and nothing very serious. I would clean the wounds daily and put on some Neosporin twice daily. You can get amoxicillin sometimes, but it seems to be sold out everywhere due to a national shortage. Enrofloxacin is sometimes available here, but shipping may take days to get it:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
Most people give it orally, not diluted, and 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) is about right for a 5 pound chicken, but one person posted that you could give 0.35 ml. Give it orally twice a day for 5 days.

Last edited:
I agree that may be a predator attack. Hopefully, the side is just swollen, and nothing very serious. I would clean the wounds daily and put on some Neosporin twice daily. You can get amoxicillin sometimes, but it seems to be sold out everywhere due to a national shortage. Enrofloxacin is sometimes available here, but shipping may take days to get it:
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
Most people give it orally, not diluted, and 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) is about right for a 5 pound chicken, but one person posted that you could give 0.35 ml. Give it orally twice a day for 5 days.
I'm actually from australia so I'll have to see what we have and what i can get my hands on. In regards to its side do i just watch and wait?

The only antibiotic that Aussies say they can get without a vet is Oxytetracycline (Oxytet,) but keep trying. Chlorhexidene cream might be found there to replace the Neosporin ointment. Perhaps there is Polysporin or Bacitracin too.

Back
Top Bottom