what is this on her eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Causin Chaos, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    what is this on her eye? she wipes at it alot. it just came up it hasnt always been there.
    its like a bubble.
    [​IMG]

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    2 things come to mind. prolapsed lens, or a wound on the cornea (if it's healed, it will look milky where a scratch may have been) but I'd say it's the lens.

3. Causin Chaos

Aug 3, 2009
    If it is a prolapsed lens what does that mean? Is it going to get better?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could possibly be eyeworm, scratching/wiping is a sympto. Here's a pic, you can see the resemblance as in your pic. Eyeworm is thin and white and can be seen in the chickens eye, usually in the tearduct area as in the pic, there is another above the persons thumbnail. If it is eyeworm, treat with equal parts of valbazen and water mixed together and put it in her eye(s.)
    Then dose her orally with 1/2cc undiluted valbazen. Repeat everything again in 10 days. Eyeworm can cause blindness.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. Causin Chaos

Aug 3, 2009
    where do i get valbazen at? Does this worm stick out from the eye or is it smooth to the eye? Hers sticks out from the eye.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I suggest that you use a magnifying glass to look in her eye to see if you can visually see eyeworm. If you dont see the worm, no need to buy the valbazen. Otherwise, Jefferslivestock.com has it if your feedstore doesnt. It is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by