What is this on his comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momofchicks, Sep 8, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    This is on my Roosters comb and face and some hen's face. What is it and can we eat the eggs from the hens that have it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Are you sure it's not just dirt? I found this on two of my hens, and found out after a rain that it was gone. They gobble up their yogurt and fling it everywhere, then go dust bathing and come up with wattles and combs like yours.

Of course it could be something else that I don't have the knowledge of. Hopefully someone else that recognized it will come along shortly. [​IMG]

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks like Fowl poxs to me.

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Bump! I'd like to know, too.

Maybe retitle the post with specific question like "Black spots on comb?" Seems like the poultry braniacs will all answer then. best.

5. momofchicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:If it's Fowl Pox can we still eat the eggs? How do I get rid of it?

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Those are just peck marks and scratches/dried blood, not Fowl Pox. Fowl pox is more wart-like and raised. It's just from squabbling with others or scratches from briars, but nothing serious.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hey, I figured they said "fowl pox" for a laugh. Made me laugh anyone.[​IMG]

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My poor roo always ended up looking like that after he tried to get frisky with a "not in the mood" lady. [​IMG]

9. momofchicks

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    So then everyone thinks its just scrathes/dried up blood. Great, whoo I was afraid I wouldn't be able to eat the eggs from my hens. Thank you all so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by