What is this pest/bug??

NCgirl21

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Concord, North Carolina

the first picture is actual size, the second one is zoomed in.
I thought maybe lice, but from the pictures i have looked at, I am wondering if it is actually too small to be lice and everything says lice congregate around the vent...these little things are everywhere on my girls with a great number of them behind the neck. you can pull them out of the feathers, but they are hard to kill. they don't fly, just crawl kind of slow....
i really appreciate anyone's guidance on this...I am really creeped and grossed out!!!
Thanks!
Jennifer

They are probably lice - lice also like the neck and under the chin because the chicken can't groom there like it can other places so they hang out there and lay their eggs. Dusting with sevin should kill them.

Thanks, i appreciate your feedback! I kinda figured that's what it was, doesn't seem like there are many options (either lice or mites from what i can find)...just want to make sure its not some randomly weird thing that could get on me and then trek into the house! YUCK! From what I;ve read lice contain themselves to feathers and not people's hair.....hope that's accurate!!

Back
Top Bottom