What is this precious "ugly duckling"?

7205_canadian_gosling.jpg

Here is one of my baby Canadians............. sorry not the best pic. It is possible that it may be,......... but I was thinking more African........
hu.gif

No, not a swan................. differnt face and type - here are my black cgynets

7205_swans.jpg

7205_img_0100.jpg

If you could get better pictures of his head, I guarantee I could tell you which kind of goose he is. It's just hard to tell from the pictures.

I keep going back and staring at the pics of your gosling. Give your hubby a pat for having a huge heart too.

I have too little experience but dang it, that gosling doesn't look typical. Please do get some good head shots.

He/she seems to have very long legs, and no keel. The contours of the neck and chest area do not look typically goose-y, but can a gosling even BE bony? It looks downright bony, and very, very ugly
big_smile.png
which is my hands down favorite stage, the more goofy looking the better.

Please keep us updated with more photos, someone will come along with an ID
smile.png

Thanks for the help guys. I will try to get some good head shots tonight. What are your thoughts on how he isn't vocal? This is my first year with them and my other two are VERY vocal.

The first thing I thought of is that there is a mute swan, but so far the one person with swans says your baby doesn't look like a swan
hu.gif
Mute swans aren't exactly mute, they just have softer voices and rarely use them, at least in comparison to other birds. Mute swans are either grey as cygnets or white, with dark legs and bills. That long curly neck, and the way he holds it in that first picture just doesn't say "goose" to me, but like I said before, I'm no expert at all.

The other thing is, your new gosling may be the same size as your others, but he LOOKS younger. More down, fewer feathers. Makes me wonder even more what he could be!

Domestic geese and swans CAN hatch out hybrids.

With the coloring and the leg's I personaly would say it's a Canadian.Canadian's are large and they have long leg's.I have never raised any my self only toulouse, 2 white chinese and one african.Most likely if it was just in a public area like that a lost Canadian.It's a doll though.Let us know how it does.

I'm thinking he has some canadian in him but maybe is mixed with something else. It's something about his head and bill that looks different. He's got one honking big bill on him, at least it looks that way in the picture
smile.png
We have hatches of canadians on our lake every year and the goslings come up in our yard so I get to see them at all stages and close up and there's a similarity with the body. I'll be interested to see what he looks like when he's feathered out and as he matures.

Back
Top Bottom