1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lilshadow, Nov 14, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I picked this guy up today from a lady down the street. I am not sure what he is though. Any help would be great. I am guessing that he is an EE, but not sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Lot of Araucana in that one. Araucanas are rumpless. Ameraucanas have tails. EE's are a broad mix.

3. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    could be a mix of ee and araucana?

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I thought EE and arauana mix to but i dont know im going to watch and see what other people have to say

5. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    If he is truly rumpless, an Arauana/EE mix would be my best guess. I've had some accidental crosses between Araucanas & EE's and they often have some combination of traits from each parent (rumpless & bearded being one of them).

Check his rump area -- does he have smooth saddle feathers flowing over the rump, or is is all roughed-up back there, like maybe he had a tail that was picked out?

6. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Wow, he's really pretty! I agree, aracuna. (with EE)

7. Gercarson

Gercarson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    I thought Araucanas & EE's were the same.

8. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Nope, totally different. They actually look nothing alike (though most people have never seen a purebred Araucana).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by