what is this ugly rooster

urbanhillbilly

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone have any ideas what breeds this rooster has in him. I hatched him from a bunch of random eggs and he's about 19 weeks old in this photo. All the other chickens from the batch look pretty normal, but this guy is really mangy looking. He hardly has any wattles yet, in fact his ears are about the same size as his wattles. He's got just a little bit of feathering on the outside of his legs. He is quite big with very tall legs. He is so ugly that we just have to keep him, and he is very friendly too, which helps.
smile.png
I'm hoping he's not fully matured yet (although 19 weeks is quite old I thought), surely he has to get better looking with time.

52611_photos_019.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to say part Malay, the other breeds I was thinking (Brahma, New Hampshire) could be there too.. But the white legs are unlikely I think, all three of those breeds have yellow legs (though I've seen New Hampshires with white). Even then though, dominant or recessive either way.. I find it hard to believe there would be any leg feathers left like he has, it is possible I guess since I've seen outcomes go against the genetic textbooks.. But I'm not going to label it. I would say he is definitely probably part Malay though.

-Daniel

Quote:
Both are single combed breeds. He appears to have a strawberry comb suggesting that Malay X is a good bet. He certainly has an oriental head.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom