what is this ugly rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urbanhillbilly, Jun 28, 2010.

1. urbanhillbilly

urbanhillbilly New Egg

Mar 29, 2010
    Does anyone have any ideas what breeds this rooster has in him. I hatched him from a bunch of random eggs and he's about 19 weeks old in this photo. All the other chickens from the batch look pretty normal, but this guy is really mangy looking. He hardly has any wattles yet, in fact his ears are about the same size as his wattles. He's got just a little bit of feathering on the outside of his legs. He is quite big with very tall legs. He is so ugly that we just have to keep him, and he is very friendly too, which helps.[​IMG] I'm hoping he's not fully matured yet (although 19 weeks is quite old I thought), surely he has to get better looking with time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    My guess would be langshan x oeg

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I'm going to say part Malay, the other breeds I was thinking (Brahma, New Hampshire) could be there too.. But the white legs are unlikely I think, all three of those breeds have yellow legs (though I've seen New Hampshires with white). Even then though, dominant or recessive either way.. I find it hard to believe there would be any leg feathers left like he has, it is possible I guess since I've seen outcomes go against the genetic textbooks.. But I'm not going to label it. I would say he is definitely probably part Malay though.

-Daniel

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:I like the 'definitely probably' part. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    He's not ugly, he's unique!!!

6. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

By his coloring I think he has som RIR in him.

7. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    He's not ugly. I think he has OEG, Langshan, Malay, and some other breeds in him.

8. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    He looks a lot like some that I've seen that were half Rhode Island Red half Cornish. [​IMG]: Angelique

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Makes sense.

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Both are single combed breeds. He appears to have a strawberry comb suggesting that Malay X is a good bet. He certainly has an oriental head.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by