What is this?! [WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES!]

siroiszoo

Songster
14 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Waller, TX
Can anyone tell me what this is? I have found it on several roosters & one hen. It is located at the base of the feathers, on the quills, located just below the rectum on these birds? I first noticed it on a sick hen when I was cleaning her up from diarrhea. I noticed it in the roosters as we were butchering them (too many roosters & they where harming my hens; most humane solution we could come up with).

I pulled one feather and examined it closely. The white 'ball' is spongy & porous in nature. It was very hard to peel away from the quill. Fungus? Parasite Eggs? What is this and how do I get rid of it?

I've searched the internet for over a month and can't find anything that describes this.

WARNING! PICTURES THAT FOLLOW ARE GRAPHIC!

29821_misc_015a.jpg

29821_misc_016a.jpg

29821_misc_017a.jpg

Last edited:
I've read threads describing something like that. I think it's mite or lice eggs but I can't remember which. Wowsers, a pic is worth a thousand words..... A thousand words I could have done without! Yuck! LOL

ooo
A "graphic pic" warning wouldn't have hurt! I was eating breakfast and clicked on a link from the BYC home that said "what is this?"
sickbyc.gif

I hope you figure it out, though.

Wow!! I would say parasite eggs, but I have never seen them look quite that large. Do the bumps look like they are comprised of smaller eggs? If not, I am stumped. Sorry.

You may want to post those pictures in the Predators and Pests section, too. Maybe someone has an answer over there.

Last edited:
Hmmm hope you get some ideas on this. I have never heard of this before. Don't feel bad I wouldn't have thought to put the warnings on the pics either. I didn't think they were graphic but it takes a lot to gross me out.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom