What is this wierd thing sticking out her chest!?

ChickieBooBoo

Cold Canadian Chick
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
I went to pick up one of my hens today and found that she has a rather large bumb in the middle of her chest. Its pretty hard (I didnt try and sqeeze it too much) Its not an impacted crop, its lower down. I found her crop and it was fine. She isnt skinney or anything. She hasnt been looking good for about a month now, maybe a bit less. But she was being picked on by the rooster so I figured that was why she wasnt as bright and energetic as she used to be. I feel so bad... But what is it? I've never seen anything like it before.

Here are some pics:

from her feet, looking towards her head:
DSC02843.jpg

from her head, looking towards her feet:
DSC02847.jpg

sideways view, you can see it sticking out:
DSC02845.jpg

Some more pics:
DSC02842.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

With that scab on the wound I would say she has an abscess. Or a tumor and the scab is just from wear and tear from the growth protruding so far. I think the first thing I would do would be to try to see what is under that scab. A warm soak in a bird bath or warm compresses should soften it up enough to lift it off. If you lift it and nothing appears to be going on under it then you can either assume it's a tumor and let it go until a future time, or you can stick her with a hypodermic and see if you can pull any pus out of it. I am pretty sure she has an abscess, but I would like to hear what others think.

I'll try and soak her in some warm water tonight and see what happens. To look under the scab do you kinda peel it off after its softer? Whats a hypodermic? Is it some kind of needle that you can stick in and pull any puss out of?

Quote:
If you soften it up you can use a warm epsom salt soak to help draw anything like you would with a puncture wound, I would apply pressure (like pressing both sides as you would a pimple) if you insert a hypo to drain it, you risk hurting her. If it's an abcess and you soak the scab off, trust me, if that sucker drains, you'll know it
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
If you soften it up you can use a warm epsom salt soak to help draw anything like you would with a puncture wound, I would apply pressure (like pressing both sides as you would a pimple) if you insert a hypo to drain it, you risk hurting her. If it's an abcess and you soak the scab off, trust me, if that sucker drains, you'll know it
sickbyc.gif

I dont have any epsom salt, can you use regular salt? Whats a hypo? If I soak the scab off and it drains is that a good thing?

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

I dont have any epsom salt, can you use regular salt? Whats a hypo? If I soak the scab off and it drains is that a good thing?

Hypo= hypodermic needle, in other words a syringe and yes if its an abcess its a VERY good thing. Its a good step in her healing. It will also let you know if you need to get her on antibiotics. If it opens and drains it will smell horrible, make sure it stays open, covered and draining. If possible, put a 4x4 over it and wrap her with some vet tape.

Quote:
I would too, but I simply cant afford the vet bills
hit.gif
otherwise I would.

LovinMyPeeps, I'm going to do that now. Thanks so much for the info.
big_smile.png

Edited for internet safety

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom