What is this? Worms inside egg?

It all boils down to this: either dose individually with a different wormer or choose a wormer that is water soluble that you can put in the water and have an effective dose and don't let the birds out to free range.
Why didn't my vet tell me this? He's an avian vet, in an area with substantial chicken populations. Told me he confers regularly with contacts at the Missouri Dept of Agriculture and University of Missouri, and reached out to (one of them) to confirm his plan of treatment and dosage for not only my flock, but also a flock of pigeons with the same issue. He said he also checked two other vet science sources. All three confirmed the same thing. Are you, and others here, saying they're all wrong?

I don't know how to ask this non-offensively, and I've followed your posts and those of @Wyorp Rock and @dawg53 for some time and I DO trust your advice --- but with all due respect, where is your knowledge base? Help me out here....

I suppose it will be confirmed in two weeks when I take fresh samples to him for another test. I don't think the worm load is so severe at this point (except that one hen, probably) that they can't follow his plan for a time, anyway.

I'm in my 60's and have had a lifetime of believing you should follow your doctor's or vet's advice to a T. Don't deviate, and don't miss a dose. Otherwise, how can the doctors evaluate the effectiveness of their treatment? Science doesn't leave much room for uncontrolled variables.

It all boils down to this: either dose individually with a different wormer or choose a wormer that is water soluble that you can put in the water and have an effective dose and don't let the birds out to free range.
I'm not letting them out during this treatment - not just to restrict their water source, but also to restrict exposure to anything new. I think I will go ahead and buy one or both of the other products suggested, and have them on hand if this doesn't work out.

Why didn't my vet tell me this? He's an avian vet, in an area with substantial chicken populations. Told me he confers regularly with contacts at the Missouri Dept of Agriculture and University of Missouri, and reached out to (one of them) to confirm his plan of treatment and dosage for not only my flock, but also a flock of pigeons with the same issue. He said he also checked two other vet science sources. All three confirmed the same thing. Are you, and others here, saying they're all wrong?

I don't know how to ask this non-offensively, and I've followed your posts and those of @Wyorp Rock and @dawg53 for some time and I DO trust your advice --- but with all due respect, where is your knowledge base? Help me out here....

I suppose it will be confirmed in two weeks when I take fresh samples to him for another test. I don't think the worm load is so severe at this point (except that one hen, probably) that they can't follow his plan for a time, anyway.

I'm in my 60's and have had a lifetime of believing you should follow your doctor's or vet's advice to a T. Don't deviate, and don't miss a dose. Otherwise, how can the doctors evaluate the effectiveness of their treatment? Science doesn't leave much room for uncontrolled variables.
Are you using Safe-Guard AquaSol? That product is specifically for treatment in water. I'm sure your vet knows what they're talking about. There may be some things getting lost in translation here.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailym...7997-81e5-46ca-806c-7407344449ae&type=display

Are you using Safe-Guard AquaSol? That product is specifically for treatment in water. I'm sure your vet knows what they're talking about. There may be some things getting lost in translation here.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailym...7997-81e5-46ca-806c-7407344449ae&type=display
Maybe a miscommunication, then? When I saw the vet, I did not know about Safe-Guard Aquasol, only Safeguard for Goats. I don't think he specified, or if he did, I missed it. Definitely a phone call to the vet tomorrow to verify! Thank you.

Sounds like he's trying to aim for Aquasol dosing which is 1mg/kg Fenbendazole. Aquasol is designed to be mixed in water where the Safeguard liquid goat dewomer is not.
I think the fog is lifting for me. I did NOT realize that "Aquasol" is actually made under the Safe-Guard brand label. I doubt this is exactly what the vet recommended, because he said I could pick it up at the local farm stores. Safe-Guard for Goats, yes. "Aquasol" - not so much. I finally found ONE seller on E-Bay, who has a big bottle and is repackaging it into 5-mL or 10 mL bottles for resale. This is ALL I could find: https://www.ebay.com/itm/185375443482

I ordered it. I will discuss with the vet.

He told you about an "approved treatment" that's not affordable...
That would have been Safeguard Aquasol which is the only "FDA Approved" anthelmintic for use of treatment of adult Ascaridia galli (Roundworm) in broilers and replacement chickens and for treatment of Ascaridia galli (Roundworm) and Heterakis gallinarum (Cecal worms) in breeding chickens and laying hens.

It is expensive, but you can purchase it through various supply stores like QCSupply Circle C and others.

No, your vet is not wrong. He's covering his fanny to a T. He's giving you info within the bounds and guidelines of his license/job. He is going to follow protocol and FARAD.
He told you he's having you go "Off Label" by using Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer. It's still Fenbendazole, but not a marketed, approved and branded form of Fenbendazole like Safeguard Aquasol. There's $$$ in big Ag and commercial operations, Merck is a leader in the market. Follow the Science, but also follow the money.

It would be wise for you to re-consult your vet if you are questioning the info he has given you or if you are confused or question the opinions, suggestions and input that you have read in posts/forums here on BYC or on FB. It's best to always consult your medical professional.

I'm not a vet, nor an expert, nor have I ever claimed to be. I'm just an 'ol country gal that keeps chickens and lives in WNC, nothing special.
Information about dosing that I post is from research and reading. I try to be as accurate as I can to the best of my abilities. I make mistakes and learn from them. I'm also blessed with a small group of honest, trustworthy friends that I rely on to kindly and generously give of their time to guide, mentor and correct me along the way.

Information that I use is gathered from various sources. Most of which anyone should be able to find and research on their own if they were inclined to do so.

Here's some info/sources about Fenbendazole. Hope that helps, good luck.

1664337926751.jpeg

1664337993901.jpeg

1664338086978.jpeg

He told you about an "approved treatment" that's not affordable...
That would have been Safeguard Aquasol which is the only "FDA Approved" anthelmintic [.....]
It is expensive, but you can purchase it through various supply stores like QCSupply Circle C and others.
[.....]
There's $$$ in big Ag and commercial operations, Merck is a leader in the market. Follow the Science, but also follow the money.
Oh my, is it ever expensive! I did not discover it in my searches, except on Amazon (ridiculously expensive for a backyard chicken keeper). Comes in a 1-gal jug, which I would not use in a lifetime - but there would be demand in big commercial operations. I did order a small amount tonight from an E-Bay seller, who's bottling it herself from a big jug and selling in doses for small or medium flocks. (I should take note... could be a niche here to make some money.)

I try to be as accurate as I can to the best of my abilities. I make mistakes and learn from them. I'm also blessed with a small group of honest, trustworthy friends that I rely on to kindly and generously give of their time to guide, mentor and correct me along the way.
As do I, on all of the above. Your advice here and in other threads has been invaluable to me. Thank you so much.

Here's some info/sources about Fenbendazole. Hope that helps, good luck.
I did not mention to the vet that my flock is going into full molt, and I see the warnings that you provided in those images! Oh my. oh no. oy vey. Another concern to talk to the vet about tomorrow.
Thank you.

DOSAGE: I'm using Safeguard for Goats 10% suspension, as recommended. He said the dosage is .005 (that's point-zero-zero-five) mL per KG of body weight, each day for 5-7 days.
That dose is the roundworm & cecal worm dose, it will not treat capillary worms (see 2nd picture below). If you want to deworm your flock, buy a bottle of Valbazen. You could try doing what @KsKingBee does and put 25 ml in a gallon. ⬇️
Perfect! Safeguard is not water soluable so no mixing in the water. We use SG orally or in feed only but we also have some large pens of birds that we will use Valbazen in the water at the rate of 25ml per gallon.

I
aquasol_1.JPG

aquasol_2.JPG

aquasol_3.JPG

aquasol_4.JPG.png

Back
Top Bottom