1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is this yellow growth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Niwatorikun, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Niwatorikun

Niwatorikun New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    [​IMG]
    We have an approx. 6 month old leghorn hen. She has this quarter inch long pointed piece of pink skin on her saddle (back) area and there is a yellowish color around it. I believe this color is due to her consistently turning around and fidgeting with it, there is not any discharge visible. she was not overly sensitive to me touching it. Picture is not great but not necessarily the easiest pic to try and get with a cell phone either. Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. marneypoo

marneypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Kentucky
    That would be the oil gland. They use it to preen their feathers. Perfectly normal.

3. Niwatorikun

Niwatorikun New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    Thanks marneypoo. Obviously new to this but having fun learning as we go. Appreciate all the helpfulness of the BYC members. Thanks again.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your hen retrieves oil with her bill from this gland and then applies the oil to her plumage while she is preening herself or dressing her feathers. Poster two is right but the photo could be clearer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by