What IS this???

BrahmaSoo

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2020
My ex battery Hilda was standing legs wide apart 7A6199FE-B713-43C7-B16C-E41D7F0C381E.jpeg earlier, yucky butt, straining to poop F729A97E-1CE5-4063-A23C-B63D380B4C8D.jpeg & general “off” behaviour. Popped her in bath & while I was cleaning her vent she pooped this wierd long thing which looks like tons of egg white in the membrane...she’s currently on my lap in a towel sleeping. Can anyone shed light on this?

That is at least 2 shell-less ega hooked together. It is one of many strange or odd eggs that can be possible. Hopefully, it is just a temporary glitch in laying, but she may have something wrong with her oviduct or shell gland. Do you feed the chickens layer feed or give oyster shell in a separate container to make hard shells? For the next several days, I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet or calcium carbonate, either one with with vitamin d. If that does not help, watch for more problems. When hens lay these shell-less egs that can make them feel lousy, and be weak. The chance of an egg breaking inside is aslo possible. Antibiotics are sometimes needed if that happens.

That is at least 2 shell-less ega hooked together. It is one of many strange or odd eggs that can be possible. Hopefully, it is just a temporary glitch in laying, but she may have something wrong with her oviduct or shell gland. Do you feed the chickens layer feed or give oyster shell in a separate container to make hard shells? For the next several days, I would give her a human calcium citrate tablet or calcium carbonate, either one with with vitamin d. If that does not help, watch for more problems. When hens lay these shell-less egs that can make them feel lousy, and be weak. The chance of an egg breaking inside is aslo possible. Antibiotics are sometimes needed if that happens.
Wow but also yuck..,I suspected it was some sort of egg. I popped her in bath as I thought vent gleet but after a while this shot out. She’s fairly lethargic so she’s in a separate cage now and yes they get layers pellets & free range all day. Thanks for advice re calcium👍

Here is a similar thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-the-heck-is-this-strange-“egg”.1473223/#post-24544156

Back
Top Bottom