What IS this?

Autumn Skye

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2020
So I have had a hen who is 2 years old and has yet to molt. Everyone else had their big molt last Autumn, but not her. She has been acting a little off for the last week or so. A couple of days ago her comb became pale, but she was still eating and drinking...maybe just a little lethargic, but otherwise acting ok. The other hens attacked her over the weekend, and I examined her but couldn't find anything wrong. Put her back in with the other chickens and they stopped attacking her. Started giving her Rooster Booster over the weekend. Today, I found THIS in a pile of poo. Interestingly, she is acting better today and her comb even seems to have regained color. What is going on? This thing is about the size, shape and consistency of a cooked white kidney bean (which, btw, I will NEVER eat again). Is this a tiny lash egg?!

Attachments

• IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    770 KB · Views: 11
Unfortunately, with all the horrors that I have heard about lash eggs, I double gloved up and tossed it out.
It's hard to know if it was a lash egg without photos of the inside. Keep an eye on your hen, also is her abdomen bloated at all? Was the egg thingy hard or soft?

It's hard to know if it was a lash egg without photos of the inside. Keep an eye on your hen, also is her abdomen bloated at all? Was the egg thingy hard or soft?
It was the consistency of a cooked kidney bean. She actually looks better this afternoon. Her tail was down over the weekend and today it is back up again and she seemed a lot more active.

How is she?
Well, by last nite her comb started looking less grey. By this morning the color is pretty much back to normal. Her tail is up and she has been acting extremely normal. A lot more energy too. I am keeping a close eye on her.

How is she doing?
She is actually looking a LOT better! Its been really hot here and I was worried about that, but she is hanging in there. My vet told me that as long as she is looking better not to worry about it. She said she has had some horror stories with her own hens and the things that came out of them as well and it could have just been a one time deal.

Back
Top Bottom