What is this?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
No idea what day this egg is on- but the chick has pipped.
It pipped in a odd spot, and appears to be upside down. (Bottom of the beak towards the skinny side of the egg)
I candled it to see what the problem was, and it appears there's another air pocket where it pipped- A small one.
Is that possible? Two air pockets in one egg?
This is a silkie.
No chirping. But it does move its beak.
(Apologize for the poor candling, i usually use my phone but in order to take pictures my phone wasn't an option so i used a flashlight.)
Also I'm aware eggs should stay in the incubator at this point. It wasn't out long, and I only have one other egg in the incubator. (These eggs were abandoned from a broody hen, usually I have way more eggs in there. )
IMG_20240102_201805913_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240102_201859303_HDR.jpg

It's really hard to tell what's going on in these two pictures.
It doesn't look like it is time for the chick to be hatching.
That's what I originally thought! I am not 100% aware of how far along they are but I didn't think they were quite ready, especially not this one.
And the other egg with it I believe was a day or two ahead of this one and it isn't pipped internally or externally yet.
This egg wasn't like this this morning, I just looked from the top of the incubator and saw it like this- never seen something like it.
I've had wrong end pips but it wasn't like this one, and they never looked like this when candled.
-
The only reason I know that the egg in with this one is farther along was because when I gave it to the hen when she was still broody, it was the only egg she had at the time- No other egg under her.
The egg in question just ended up there by another hen that laid there at least two days after.
Here's the egg without a light up to it:
17042515794556532296275338415472.jpg

I don't know what's going on here, and what I would've added has already been said.
I'm following to see what happens, I've looked and can't seem to find anything like this on the Internet. I'll do some more digging tomorrow.

Just make sure the membrane doesn't dry up and shrink wrap somehow, I usually use Vaseline for large areas of exposed membrane.
Good luck with your eggs, I hope this baby makes it! 🤞♥️

I don't know what's going on here, and what I would've added has already been said.
I'm following to see what happens, I've looked and can't seem to find anything like this on the Internet. I'll do some more digging tomorrow.

Just make sure the membrane doesn't dry up and shrink wrap somehow, I usually use Vaseline for large areas of exposed membrane.
I did the Vaseline thing after reading this- Also, as of this morning the baby is chirping. Very quietly, but I heard the little guy while applying Vaseline.

Took the egg out and outlined what I could see of the other spot that looks like a second air pocket- Probably a little off but I didn't want to blind the baby and keep out of the incubator too long.
Plenty of humidity in there for the little guy though.
He's a little more lively now, I can hear him chirping from the next room over sometimes.
IMG_20240103_155732057.jpg

Unfortunately I came home and checked on the baby- it's dead in the egg. 😢
He seemed to be getting stronger, now I just wonder if those loud chirps were because he needed assistance.
Fixing to break it open to see what was going on, will update this afterwards.
Just finished:
He looks awfully small, but that may be because he all curled up- and I've never opened up a silkie egg like this.
Still had yolk, eyes are open if that means anything. Nothing seems to be out of place that I can tell.
17043328106354571250439740241603.jpg
17043329946115088708137023810679.jpg

17043331926311042701583936747705.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom