what is this???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tsagirl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
  2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Doesn't appear to be pecked, no blood.

Don't know hopefully someone else will know.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    That is a roo, and that is his comb, as far as I can tell. How old is he? Mine went through a fugly spell while growing up, and looked very similar. He should outgrow it in time. [​IMG]

4. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    That bird looks like it has eyebrows [​IMG]

5. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    nope not a roo! She lays eggs once a day. Kinda weird roo to be laying eggs. [​IMG] She is also 9 months old.
    She did have the "silke" fluff all over her head where it looked like she could not see, and now it looks like it is being eaten away from a bug? lice?

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] OK! I stand (or sit) corrected! LOL! I would have sworn it was a roo. Hmmmmm... [​IMG] Not sure, now. I'll have to check back and see if someone else has any ideas for you... [​IMG]

7. Tsagirl

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Not a problem! [​IMG] LOL! Yea she does look like a roo cause of whatever is causing it....I wonder if I have to bathe her in some lice powder? Or the whole flock!

8. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hermaphrodite maybe? A roo that lays eggs. Cool. [​IMG]

9. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonder if it's just moulting. [​IMG]

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Is she with a rooster? I once had a silkie pullets head stripped like that from an overzealous roo. It doesn't grow back too quickly, but should when she moults. She could also just be in a moult. Examine her vent area for mite/lice sacks to rule that out. Typically a light case of mites would not cause this, but an infestation may and sacks would be noticeable.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by