What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hensandcounsel, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Hensandcounsel

Hensandcounsel New Egg

Nov 27, 2014
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I saw one of the hens playing keep away with something that looked like a deflated piece of a white balloon. I couldn't imagine where she got it, but I went out and took it from her. Upon further review, it is most definitely not a balloon, it has kind of a pinkish smaller deflated ball on it, and it had some gel-like stuff on it. I think it might be a shell less egg? But I am not sure. There was not any liquid in the coop. We have three ladies who have just started laying, and have maybe laid one egg each. I have attached pictures of the strange object and would love some insight to make sure it is nothing to be concerned about. The flock otherwise seems just fine. Thanks!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, you are right about that being an egg membrane. Shell-less eggs are common as new hens start to lay. Just make sure tey are getting a good layer feed, and put out some crushed oyster shell and crushed egg shells for some extra calcium in a separate container for free- choice.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by