What is too cold for a 9 week old silkie chick?

agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
I have a flock of 6 who free range in the day and are locked up in a 8x12 coop at night. Their coop is an old shed so there’s not much insulation. We were also not planning on keeping them in the winter so it’s not winterized/insulated at all. As september crept up on us in southern Ontario overnight temperatures are now nearing 10c. It’s only by around 9/10am it finally warms up enough for it to be manageable, for me at least at around 16c. I know the other chickens are hardy and are fine in temps like this but I worry about my 9 week old silkie chick who is just a giant fluff ball. It roosts on the bar with the rest of the flock but in the other corner away from them so it doesn’t share heat with the rest of the birds. Is it too cold for it? Should I insulate the coop a bit better just because it’s getting so cold at night?

I think the silkie should be fine at that age as long as you keep cold winds and drafts from letting cold air in when the temperatures drop further. You'd be surprised at how hardy most chickens are during the cooler weather, and 10 degrees Celsius is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit (which is what we go by) and that is definitely not too cold for the 9 week old silkie. I don't know what the temperatures are like up there in Ontario during the winter months, I can only guess it's very cold! Like I mentioned, make sure there are no drafts and if you are really concerned once the temperatures drop below freezing or so you can always add a heat source. There are many options such as heat lamps, heat plates, wall heaters, wall heating plates, heated roosting bars... etc. But for now, I think the silkie should be fine and if they get cold enough they will all cuddle together and keep warm.

I have a flock of 6 who free range in the day and are locked up in a 8x12 coop at night. Their coop is an old shed so there’s not much insulation. We were also not planning on keeping them in the winter so it’s not winterized/insulated at all. As september crept up on us in southern Ontario overnight temperatures are now nearing 10c. It’s only by around 9/10am it finally warms up enough for it to be manageable, for me at least at around 16c. I know the other chickens are hardy and are fine in temps like this but I worry about my 9 week old silkie chick who is just a giant fluff ball. It roosts on the bar with the rest of the flock but in the other corner away from them so it doesn’t share heat with the rest of the birds. Is it too cold for it? Should I insulate the coop a bit better just because it’s getting so cold at night?
And I forgot to mention, that is a pretty big area for just 6 chickens. Not too much because it's good to have room, but I know that is a few feet more than they actually would need, at least from what I've read. If they're in a bigger area they probably would get colder faster, so I would maybe insulate the shed or add a heat source when it gets colder because I'm not sure their body heat would warm it up much, although I could be wrong. I know you said they wouldn't be in it during winter possibly but I figured I would comment on that just in case.

Thank you for your response! Yes it definitely gets cold, it’s not uncommon for it to reach -30c (-22f) and this is my first time keeping birds so I want to make sure Im not freezing them to death haha. The cold would definitely be an incentive to cuddle in with the other birds. I must admit the ventilation in the coop isn’t very good, in the summer when itd get really hot and muggy we’d make sure to keep the doors open as much and for as long as possible but there are also cracks in the boards around the base.

Thank you for your response! Yes it definitely gets cold, it’s not uncommon for it to reach -30c (-22f) and this is my first time keeping birds so I want to make sure Im not freezing them to death haha. The cold would definitely be an incentive to cuddle in with the other birds. I must admit the ventilation in the coop isn’t very good, in the summer when itd get really hot and muggy we’d make sure to keep the doors open as much and for as long as possible but there are also cracks in the boards around the base.
We had temps like that before, especially during the polar vortex one year. I keep silkies, they all survived. Not as fragile as most people believe.

I don't know celcius.

9 week olds should be feathered out fully, & able to survive temperatures 67°F, or even the 50s, I've had late chicks survive temperatures that were nearing the 30s.
10c is 50f, right now that’s the coldest it’s been but usually it is in the mid/high 50s overnight and around 70/75 at the highest temp at around noon. I’m confident when it gets cold in the night the chick will snuggle in with the others. Thanks for your response!

10c is 50f, right now that’s the coldest it’s been but usually it is in the mid/high 50s overnight and around 70/75 at the highest temp at around noon. I’m confident when it gets cold in the night the chick will snuggle in with the others. Thanks for your response!
We have the same weather in our area.

You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom