What is too hot for a chicken?

Until this last week, I had 68 days of 100 degree or over (usually over) days. A friend who has raised chickens all her life said to give them tree shade because it's coolest, lots of water, a fan (I use a small 10" one outside the fence), and to damp down some ground. They've gotten along fine with that combination. Most of the time they aren't even panting. It's cooler under the trees than under any roof or shade-cloth and the chickens will dig into the damp earth, lie in it, and cool themselves off that way and/or get in front of the fan when needed. The fan does make a big difference here; there's been no breeze to speak of almost every day and the humidity has also been high most of the day.
Don't worry too much; just take some of the steps people are recommending and I'm sure your chickens will be fine.
smile.png

So far we have had a very mild summer
big_smile.png
but last year was brutal. Our girls got under their coop....it is on a wooden platform. It keeps them very cool. I also fill their waterer with ice and they like to take pecks at the floating cubes. When they are free range they get under the porch or under the bushes.

Quote:
This was the cheap and effective method that I use. 2 Big box fans circulate plenty of air and I haven't lost any birds to the heat this year. I live in the hells kitchen part of the country where triple digit heat can last for months at a time with no rain.

AL

It also depends on the chicken breed. Some breeds handle the heat better than others, just as some breeds handle cold better than others.

You have to keep an eye on your chickens and gauge how they're doing. Whenever I spot mine panting, I bring out their personal mister.

thumbsup.gif
for all the great tips!!!

Love all you who're keeping it 'real' round here... and actually I think 400 is much better... if you like crispy outside and juicy in.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom