What Is Too Much Money For A Chick?

thudson

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Gatesville Texas
:confused:I am an old time chicken raiser and man the price of chicks have changed. Plus the breeds have chicks have changed. I am probably crazy but I just bought a lone chick, a Sapphire Olive Eggers for $11.50 , Am I Crazy? Was that bad? She was sitting in that pen just begging me to take her home. But really who would judge somebody for that. My dad who is 85 said Boy you are crazy. But these days and times have changed. Chicken raising has changed some, Right?:old

In my opinion $11.50 is a reasonable price for a chick, especially since sapphire chickens are hard to find (possibly just my area that they’re hard to find). For more common breeds I wouldn’t pay more then $5-10 a chick for. I don’t think it was a bad decision, how could you say no to the incredibly cute eyes of a chick.

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to get these gorgeous silver and gold laced polish pullets from her favorite feed store. They were $14 each, about 5-6 months old. Nowadays in my area, I see people selling similar birds for $30-40 each. Even people wanting $20+ for their non-specialty breed roosters. Bonkers. There's some breeds that of course cost more than others, i.e marans, lavender ameraucana, ayam cemani, (+many more), but the prices are definitely not what they used to be. I see people on craiglist asking $30-35 for 2-3 week old production pullets which is comical since most feed stores will have production breeds in stock. I doubt these folk get those prices, at least I hope nobody is paying that...

Back
Top Bottom