What is toxic to chickens?

Quote:
It's not the avocado flesh that's the problem, it's the brown seed coating. And yes, apple and pear seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide but it's generally accepted that a seed here and there isn't going to harm them.

Also, dried beans have to be cooked first.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you try to plant a toxic plant free zone, you will drive yourself crazy. Oleanders are also poisonous but our rabbits live in them. While Morning Glories are toxic, they usually won't eat them..in fact, you can find quite a selection of vintage books and post cards about chickens and Morning Glories together...I know..I used to grow like 90 varieties
lol.png

Common Foods and Plants Toxic to Chickens
raw potatoes and peels
avocado
citrus fruits
rhubarb leaves
chocolate/caffeine
apple seeds
onions
garlic
mushrooms
alcohol
potato, eggplant, and tomato plants/leaves
salt
mistletoe or holly berries
raw beans
nutmeg
sweet pea plant
tobacco
stone fruit pits
asparagus

Read more: http://www.grit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=4294967388&tag=Chickens#ixzz1KaHbNV3Z

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as plants go, this is a pretty extensive site: http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

I
don't feed dried beans or avocados in any form; I don't feed anything with a lot of onions or garlic b/c it can make the eggs taste funky; I don't give them any potato peelings; and I try not to give anything too loaded with sugar and salt. I don't feed anything with mold or that has obviously gone off.

I know for a fact that onions and garlic are not toxic to chickens. Mine get both of these from time to time. I've also never noticed any change in the taste of the eggs that so many people claim will happen when they're fed onion & garlic.

-S

Common Foods and Plants Toxic to Chickens
raw potatoes and peels
avocado
citrus fruits
rhubarb leaves
chocolate/caffeine
apple seeds
onions
garlic
mushrooms
alcohol
potato, eggplant, and tomato plants/leaves
salt
mistletoe or holly berries
raw beans
nutmeg
sweet pea plant
tobacco
stone fruit pits
asparagus

Read more: http://www.grit.com/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=4294967388&tag=Chickens#ixzz1KaHbNV3Z
My chickens are going crazy eating the green tops to my onions that they can reach through the garden fence, is this toxic to them or just the onions themselves???

I just planted a few hops vines around my coop for future shade. I am pretty sure they can eat the "hops" themselves. But what about the leaves? the plants will be twined in and around the coop fencing so they will undoubtably will get some leaves.

Well call it beginners luck based on sheer ignorance. We happened to build our chx run next to the rhubarb - during the building stages the rhubarb grew and grew, and one plant came up right in the run, we put the chicks in, didn't really think about until they started eating it, but by then it was too late, and we were ready to count our losses. However, the rubarb didn't stand a chance against the chickens! No harm, no fowl - they are alive and kicking - can't say that for the rhubarb plant - they literally ate it into the ground. So, I am happy to say we have a happy ending!

Back
Top Bottom