What is wrong?? Silkie mixed breed hen is emaciating, poor appetite, ratty feathers, one night dropped many small feathers

nsanfro

Chirping
May 24, 2020
Gilbert AZ
Has been off her feed 4 days..will eat a tiny bit. Not much meat on her. Only wants to sit in one place. Very little poop today. 106.7 degrees under her thigh by her body. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Today she's eaten some purslane, 4 blueberries, and 1 tsp boiled egg yolk. Been in house for 2 days. Doesn't seem to be drinking. I put pedialyte in her water. Please help me help this little girl!

The 1st picture is her poop. The other 2 show that her topknot is now barely there and her comb is wilted. It's been very hot here in Arizona but I have a mister system and lots of shade, and water for them to stand in. I can't figure out why she is acting so lethargic and not hungry. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 6
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 6
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 7
How old is your silkie? Has she laid eggs recently? Is she molting? Can you get her drinking some water and give some Poultry NutriDrench 1 ml orally daily for a few days? Watermelon or other melons sometimes gets more fluids into them. Has she been broody recently?

Thank you for answering, Eggcessive! You have blessed so many with your knowledge! She's 4 yrs old. I don't think she's moulting, except there were a bunch of very small feathers underneath where she slept. She hasn't laid any eggs in a while... thank you for the idea with the watermelon--I will give her some!
Thank you again!

Thanks for all of your comments! Happy news! She's doing better not just sitting around. Late yesterday she seemed to perk up and paced back and forth when I took her outside. She could hear her sisters and ate some regular feed. So, I put her back with her friends & watched her carefully. None picked at her or bothered. She roosted just fine and was dust bathing and eating this morning. Still slower than normal but much better!

Back
Top Bottom