Unknown injury? after being out all night... escalating to potentially life-threatening/what to do?

naturally_rach

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2023
Hiya,

Okay so I have been stalking these posts and I am still at a loss.

This is a two year old Ameraucana, Jenny. She is a little over 4lbs. Definitely lighter than she was two weeks ago.

She was the alpha hen, very feisty and active. She apparently got out of the coop one night about a week ago. My husband found her the next morning looking exhausted possibly injured her leg as she was droopy and limping a little bit. The next day she was puffed up and lethargic, still opened her eyes, but wanted to be alone.

We isolated her and I started treating her for cocci and worms the next day as she still had not improved (she also had liquid poops and was not eating or drinking). She seemed to be improving by day three of being treated for cocci (this was three days ago) so we decided to treat the whole flock. She was still baby-ing one leg but there was no sign of injury or bumblefoot.

Now, I realize we made a mistake by reintroducing her to the flock too early (we put her back in with them once she was improving, we should have definitely waited).. but I was not expecting to see her like this today. Huddled in the corner, an eye (possibly?) pecked out, dried blood and missing feathers on one side of her face... Liquid coming out of one eye both sealed shut. It was gruesome. I immediately removed her and set her up in a safe isolated spot with some straw, fresh treated water, and food.

She is back to not eating or drinking anything, back to liquid poops (honestly I don't know if she ever got those back to normal). My vet doesn't do chickens, so I am completely in the dark here. I guess what I am wondering is if there is any chance she will recover from this or if there is anything else I can give her to help ease her pain. What about her appetite? Because that really did not come back either.

Is it possible for them to get so cold that they just don't recover? It was pretty cold the night she got out... Of course her new injuries aren't going to help whatever was wrong before.

Thanks you for your help.

At this point, it's going to take her 3 months in isolation to recover if she does recover.

Without seeing her condition and it being winter. It's probably not practical to save her.

Every mistake you make will be a learning point that you can improve on.

Maybe someone here can access the situation better.

At this point, it's going to take her 3 months in isolation to recover if she does recover.

Without seeing her condition and it being winter. It's probably not practical to save her.

Every mistake you make will be a learning point that you can improve on.

Maybe someone here can access the situation better.
Thank you, I was afraid of that.

That is how I am trying to look at it as well. Last year one of our girls died due to being egg bound, now I know how to look for that and treat it. I wish that it wasn't a mistake that we made, but we know better now.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I had a rooster that was injured in a dog attack.
I had him in a separate fenced enclosure in the backyard so that he could heal.
The enclosure is makeshift using t-posts and welded wire fencing. Somehow, the enclosure got opened.
I found my injured rooster hiding in an empty plant pot(tree pot) that was laying on its side. He was obviously attacked by another rooster(s) once there was no separation between him and the rest of the flock.
He was definately not as beat up as your hen, but he was almost dead from the dog attack, and this has set him back some.
Surprisingly, he bounced back from this pretty fast.
I had another rooster also injured by these dogs, and he was not in as bad of a shape but did not make it.
You just never known how they will heal.

Back
Top Bottom