What is wrong with her feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jstlitlome, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jstlitlome

jstlitlome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    Noticed Clara bells feathers were looking weird, so I peeked under them and... Ew! This doesn't look good. It's like they are crumbling from underneath and she is shedding and dandruffy ... The other hens feathers are nice and shiny and healthy.

Don't think it's a molt since her head feathers are all in tact and she is laying fine. She is acting fine too.

Do you know what it is and what to do about it? I'm going on a ten day vacation in 3 days. My daughter will be taking care of them. That's got me a little concerned. :-(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any advice is helpful!

Leslie

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
  3. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It just looks like she had a nice dirt bath to me. My chickens feathers are all out of place and have dirt all over and under their feathers when they dust bath. My gold stars have the feathers that are white and fluffy at the base like your hen and they look especially bad. Does she feel, "gritty"? I bet she looks all better in the morning after a good nightly preening. :)

4. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    She does love a good dirt bath! lol And I'm not sure she didnt just have one before this pic, because she has leaves all over her. but her feathers looked like this yesterday, and still again today.

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Then she could be molting like like you said. Chickens usually start loosing feathers on their chest and wings first. What breed is she?

6. jstlitlome

Mar 11, 2013
    Missouri
    She is a Rhode Island Red. My others lost on their head and neck first and there was no fluffy, crumbly stuff, just pinfeathers.

They are only 11 months, so this is their first winter. And mine too!

Leslie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by