What is wrong with her??

botesbabe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Ash, NC
We purchased 9 pullets(most of which turned out to be roos
roll.png
) about 2 months ago and have 2 of the hens left. The one in question is a RIR mix who is about 4-6 months(guestimate) old. She has always been more timid than the rest of the chickens, but I didn't think anything about it until yesterday. She had a VERY pale comb and was standing with her body all "compact"(If that makes sense ). The other chickens(hens and roos alike) were picking on her, so I went in the coop and she didn't run like she normally does, so I did some investigation. I isolated her from the others because she has a bloody spot on her comb and I wanted to give her a chance to heal. I thought at first that her crop was swollen because it didn't look like she had a neck to speak of, but once I got her in my hands- I can't feel her crop at all. Just a skinny neck all the way to her chest. She will peck at the food and eat one or two pieces of the lay ration pellets, then she goes to water only again. She lays down a lot and is very listless. I am going out to get a pic or two right now, but any hel would be great.

Thanks!!

1) What type of bird , age and weight. She is a RIR mix about 4-6 months old. As for weight.. maybe 2 lbs?

2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is very listless, holding herself as "compact" as possible, pale comb, and resting a lot. When she rests- she rests chest down, butt up, but I do not see any contracting or pulsing of the vent.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Small nip mark on her comb from one of the other chickens pecking at her.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I know of.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Not really eating other than a nibble or two of layer ration I gave them some tomatoes and she ignored them, but she is drinking pretty well.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Looser than normal, but normal amounts and color.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Isolation, plenty of fresh water and layer pellets. I did soak the pellets in some fresh water to make them softer and easier for her to eat.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? To try to make her well ourselves, no vet involvement.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Pics are uploading as I speak/type

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use. They are in an indoor/outdoor coop(they have a 12x12 indoor area where their food/water/nesting boxes are and about a 12x24 outdoor area for dustbaths, bugs, etc. Hay/straw bedding.

These pics are clickable- I have cleaned up her mess from last night, so ignore the mess in the cage.

She is probably at point of lay, and may require some layer pellets softened with applesauce, water or yogurt to get her caloric load up. Birds this age go through tremendous hormonal changes, and if she is a submissive bird she may not have been getting enough opportunities to eat.

The other possibility is that her first egg is already formed and is not passing through as promptly as it should. This may require more calcium than she is now receiving, hence the need for layer feed. Other things that contain enough calcium and which may interest her are leafy greens such as spinach or lettuce, or finely-shredded cabbage. Pullets this age often have odd-shaped or soft eggs to begin with, and can seem confused. Their entire body chemistry is changing. Her chute muscles need as much calcium as her eggshells, so it's important to get her eating. You can also offer oilive oil by dropper or oil and yogurt on the curve of her upper beak (avoid nares) to stimulate her sipping reflex and get some nutrition into her. If her intake is seriously low it interferes with her egg production so this has to be addressed asap.

Even though her crop is empty, these hens love to have their crops gently massaged and it may stumulate her desire to eat.

Also, check her abdomen- any sign of swelling or is her vent pulsing?

Last edited:

Edited for use of profanity and rude comments.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I see you are a new member here. Two different members tried to help you and it didn't take long for you to get a response to this thread, either. A question was asked which you did not answer in your first post or in the form you were filling out to help us help you. Why you became so impatient so quickly, and angry to boot, is puzzling. I have cleaned up this thread and put it back so perhaps you can find answers to your pullet's health issue, however, if you don't wish for folks to reply and try to help, then we can remove this from the forum.

Back
Top Bottom