What is wrong with him??

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Note: The cage is only temporary! Please do NOT bash me about him being in a cage.

Our 8 month old cockerel finally crowed yesterday but it was pathetic and quiet. Nobody else who heard it realized it was a crow because of how it sounded. I was the only one who recognized it. He's currently inside and he keeps trying to crow but nothing is coming out, not even a quiet gasp. He's drinking & eating fine. I felt around but there's nothing stuck. I checked inside his mouth but I saw nothing. The only noise he makes, is the usually noise a chicken makes when it talks.
I have attached videos below to show what I mean.
The second video is the one that mostly shows what I'm talking about but I'm attaching both because in the first one he makes a talking noise.

He sounds a bit congested. Are his nostrils clear?
I would check to see if his crop is emptying overnight.

Could be he has a respiratory illness, but without more symptoms it's hard to know. Re-check inside his beak and throat just to make sure there's nothing stuck and no canker.

He sounds a bit congested. Are his nostrils clear?
I would check to see if his crop is emptying overnight.

Could be he has a respiratory illness, but without more symptoms it's hard to know. Re-check inside his beak and throat just to make sure there's nothing stuck and no canker.
I felt his crop first thing in the morning and it was empty before I fed him.
His nostrils are clear. And he normally sounds like that outside.

Crowing is a complicated procedure requiring multiple air sacs. It's possible they aren't developed yet and will change. Could be genetic as well. I had a rooster whose crow sounded like a low cough from a deep chested man and another who sounded like a goofy chuckle. Took them awhile to work out the kinks to sound like proper roosters.

Crowing is a complicated procedure requiring multiple air sacs. It's possible they aren't developed yet and will change. Could be genetic as well. I had a rooster whose crow sounded like a low cough from a deep chested man and another who sounded like a goofy chuckle. Took them awhile to work out the kinks to sound like proper roosters.
His first and only crow(so far) yesterday sounded like a tortured chicken, which is why my family didn't know it was a crow.

I felt his crop first thing in the morning and it was empty before I fed him.
His nostrils are clear. And he normally sounds like that outside.
No bird vets nearby
The only noise he makes, is the usually noise a chicken makes when it talks.
Is he eating/drinking normally, active if you put him outside?
IF he's not in distress, getting picked on, can eat/drink on his own, is active (not lethargic) - then I would put him back with the others and see how it goes. He may have a bit of food lodged or something. Give him a bit of time to see if that corrects itself.

Back
Top Bottom